Fuel Cut?

Neil W

Sep 1, 2008
Fall River, NS
Hello! I bought an 87 a few weeks ago, and have been driving it for about a week. Tonight, halfway through a drive, on the highway, the car stumbled going up a hill. It was like I turned the key off, paused and turned it back on. After that whenever I tried to accelerate, even "normally" or gently, the same would happen. if I left the throttle part way down, it would cut in and out until I let off the throttle. The car is still driveable, but only barely.

I have done some reading on this, and I understand that there is a fuel cut, that may or may not also cut the ignition.

From what I know about NA cars, this sounds like a dirty fuel filter.

Any insight would be great...

The car is completely stock, 141000 kms.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Sounds like a boost leak...one of your IC pipes split or came loose at the connector.

Neil W

Sep 1, 2008
Fall River, NS
Alright, I'll fifth it. heh heh

Thanks folks, I'll report back.

I guess if there is an air leak after the MAS, the car will have the wrong info for mixture.

If I unplug my MAS, will the car use the O2 sensor? That would be an easy way to confirm... not that looking at the IC hoses is hard. :)

Neil

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The 7M doesn't have a MAS, it's an AFM...unplugging it will do the same thing, just worse ;)
It doesn't use the O2 sensor that way.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
Neil W;1132822 said:
From what I know about NA cars, this sounds like a dirty fuel filter.

Dont you have an NA? If so, then you posted in the wrong section and you shouldnt have a problem with a boost leak. You might have unmetered air getting past the AFM.
If you are a turbo, then i will agree with the boost leak

-pete

Orangeracer

SUPRA LOVER
Sep 12, 2008
Harford County, MD
i bought my car and it had that problem. needed a fuel filter. although i replaced the new pump anyway. lol if i were you i would drop a walbro in and a new fuel filter. its a pita.

Neil W

Sep 1, 2008
Fall River, NS
Thanks for the help. It turns out that when I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket, and repaired all the stripped threads, I did not tighten the hose clamp on the outlet side of the turbo. It's tight now, and the car boosts to ~5-6 psi. Under full throttle on the highway it seems to hesitate a little. Not quite stumble, but the power is not smooth.

From the difference with that hose clamp, I am thinging I am looking for a smaller leak in the induction side, after the turbo. Not too worried, as a litte rich won't hurt.

Or maybe the plugs are all fouled from the week of driving around rich!