fuel cut on stock engine with DDP?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
so i just installed a BIC DDP thats vented, made a custom 3'' cat-back. finally went about 3/4 throttle, and i hit fuel cut hellla hard out of no where... but im only hitting 9 psi... not 12... or 14... just 9.
i'll try another boost gauge from my friend, but, its read fine all this time.

my fuel cut in 3rd gear is at 4000rpm~
but why?

engine specs:
.40 probe's
eagle rods
titan MHG
stock rebuild turbo @ 9psi
stock IC pipes and IC
bosch 110 bov
new vacuum lines everywhere

would my motor being .40 over lower the threshold for fuelcut???
i really dont see why its hitting fuel cut... on my stock exhaust i was running 8psi to redline no problem... i really dont want to go lex afm and 550 on a stock turbo!!!!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Boost leak...

Also, make sure the wastegate can open all the way, I don't get fuelcut on mine because it can open fine...

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
I have a big mouth downpipe, 3" exhaust, stock internals, 2.5" intercooler pipes and not much else.....

I hit fuel cut at 9.5psi, normally around 4000rpm, especially in 3rd and 4th gear (but my 7m is in a 1977 celica if that matters)

No boost leaks.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
if you have a boost leak (even a minor one as it will get worse with more pressure), the AFM is still seeing hte same amount of air...

I get stock PSI on my setup, no boost creep, but i think my wastegate is a bit tired...

speedfreak426;1278600 said:
I have a big mouth downpipe, 3" exhaust, stock internals, 2.5" intercooler pipes and not much else.....

I hit fuel cut at 9.5psi, normally around 4000rpm, especially in 3rd and 4th gear (but my 7m is in a 1977 celica if that matters)

No boost leaks.

I have similar mods (3" turbo back exhaust, cone filter intake, 2.5" hardpipes and aftermarket IC, .020 over pistons) and hit fuel cut at 10 psi also with an HKS EBC.

I can run to redline at WOT in 1st and 2nd at 10 psi w/o cut but 3rd always gives me problems wen the rpms get above around 5k. 4th seems fine but I haven't gone up that high in 4th :icon_bigg

Racer-X

Jan 25, 2009
Rendsburg
I head a boost leak after installing my 3" turbo elbow. I was just checking a couple of things directly after install (accordeon hose etc.). In the end the a-hose wasn´t tightened the way it should have been and when pulling hard it just felt like the typical fuel cut.

I fixed the hose clamp and solved the problem.

So, I would say you must have a leak somewhere.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i see... i didnt think about how a small boost leak would become much worse with the DDP...

i'll go throw the tester on...

but on a positive note, on the way to work i raped a 5.0 mustang... was like a 99ish... he didnt want any after that though. hahaha

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
you might wanna get a little crazy and pull your intake cam off and open the Throttle body.

theres a few more fun places boost can leak. (yes the egr cooler is one) ;)

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i only have about 3-4mm of shims... like 2 washers?... was just to raise boost from 6 to 8psi...

and yes, i know EXACTLY when it starts to open... kinda fun to only "crack" the vent tube so you get a neck snap reaction from people... haha

im some what sure i may know where i have a leak... but i did notice that with the downpipe i have just a tid bit more vacuum at idle... and my engine also pulls like 22-23ish now when im decelerating... i use to pull like 21. to me its a noticable difference on the gauge. but im still going to try another gauge while im at it.

i'll do the boost leak test thursday when i dont have work...

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
s383mmber1;1278901 said:
Hows that downpipe sound? :) Must make hell when that wastegate opens, huh? :evil2:

My money is on a boost leak....is your wastegate shimmed?

i cleaned quite the layer of "exhaust gas" from under the donwpipe... its now fully coated with at least 8 layers of VHT flame proof, wrapped fully, and then another can and a half of vht flame proof... cant even tell its a vented downpipe by looking at it! and with the heat shield on, looks "stock" if thats what you wanna call it... hahahahaha

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Poodles;1279337 said:
Yep, heat sheild is over mine and it passes inspection...

Take out the shims :rofl:

even if i remove the shims... that'll just lower the boost and mask the problem... having shims vs. a MBC shouldnt be any different...

although i think i might remove them anyways if i slap on the MBC that i have...

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
shims are ok until you take them out.

then you'll have a stretched out wg spring thats even weaker then before. i say boost leak too. but i could be the hose to the wg. do you have hose clamps or zip ties on there? if not check that hose. it helped with the creep on mine.