Fuel cut around 3000 rpm?

foordoorracer

Feb 23, 2009
CLT
I have an 89 mk3 with a 1jzgte JUST swapped into it. It cranks right up, but when I try reving it, it cuts out somewhere around 3k rpm and then once the rpms fall below that spot the engine continues to run. It just wont go past that rpm(this is all while its in neutral under no load).

Known good parts:
-ignitor
-Crank angle sensor
-cam sensors
-ECU
-coil packs/plugs

Im thinking its hitting fuel cut for some reason. What factors(sensors) affect the ECU to tell the injectors to stop firing? or what other issue could it be?

Modifications to the car
-Bullseye 67 trim single turbo setup
-Aeromotive Fuel pressure regulator set at 32psi
-440cc injectors
-bosch 255 fuel pump

foordoorracer

Feb 23, 2009
CLT
Anyone know what trouble code 47 for a 1jzgte is? Ive googled it and looked through the links from these forums and none of them have 47 listed. Closest thing I could find was for a 2jz code 47 is supposed to be the sub-throttle position sensor. but 1jz doesnt have that.......right?

Swifty

Jan 13, 2011
Minnesota
I dont know if this is relevant. But I had the same problem with my 7m from bouncing it off the rev limiter. I just unplugged the battery for ten minutes and it was fine. You should try that.

foordoorracer

Feb 23, 2009
CLT
Vrank!!!;1668010 said:
You have a traction control throttle body? Is the tps within spec?

ITs a brand new TPS from drift motion that should be well within spec cuz its a toyota factor replacement part.

And no, I dont have a traction control throttle body, but evidently the ECU im using probably was used on an engine with traction control originally.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
When you put a tps on a car, you cant just bolt it on and have it within spec. It has to be put into spec. Tiny adjustments to get it to where it needs to be. So check that. Also whats the gap of your spark plugs?

foordoorracer

Feb 23, 2009
CLT
If it makes a difference, I disconnected the TPS plug and it did the exact same thing at ~3k rpm. So, would you still think it would have to do with the adjustment?

As for the spark plugs, they are at factory gap.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
foordoorracer;1668055 said:
If it makes a difference, I disconnected the TPS plug and it did the exact same thing at ~3k rpm. So, would you still think it would have to do with the adjustment?

As for the spark plugs, they are at factory gap.
YES!!!!!!!! Go set your TPS continuity/discontinuity for closed throttle so your ECU doesn't give you default limp values due to the TPS error and then come back if you still have problems. This will help, http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/engine_2_41.htm

foordoorracer

Feb 23, 2009
CLT
TPS, is adjusted and within spec.

QUESTION: Does the RPM signal the ECU uses, to calculate fuel maps with, come from a series circuit from the Tachometer???

I've heard that on NA mk3's you need to remove a resistor from the back of the cluster in order for the tach to work with a 1jzgte swap(mine doesnt work, its an NA and i was going to solve that issue later).

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
foordoorracer;1668649 said:
TPS, is adjusted and within spec.

QUESTION: Does the RPM signal the ECU uses, to calculate fuel maps with, come from a series circuit from the Tachometer???

I've heard that on NA mk3's you need to remove a resistor from the back of the cluster in order for the tach to work with a 1jzgte swap(mine doesnt work, its an NA and i was going to solve that issue later).
The reason you have an issue with your tach is because the NA gets an analog signal from the distributor while the turbos get a digital one from the Camshaft Position Sensor. You actually need to either swap a turbo tach in or get a tach converter wired in.

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
If you removed the fuel pulse dampener you may want to try to put it back, it has caused issues around 3-4k in 1JZ swaps notoriously. Also, if you haven't already, try to do the 12v mod to your fuel pump. I've seen plenty of people try to integrate the MKIII's circuit opening relay and failed..