fsv/charcoal canister delete?

slideways2004

Oct 7, 2008
Houston
I searched and basically found that I can delete this with no ill effects. I just wanted to confirm on this by posting a pic of my engine. I don't even have a charcoal canister and wanted to delete this to make it a little cleaner.

the orange/red sensor next to the oil filter housing
20iigjk.jpg

SupraStardom

Nov 11, 2006
Council Bluffs, IA
yep you can delete it with no problem. for people that still want to use it though you can replace it with one from a honda. its way smaller. our supras have a 2L bottle size charcoal canister and the honda one is like a soda can. Ive been running with out one for a little over a year on my 1jz swap. no problems. They claim you can smell fuel vapors if it is not installed and people have rerouted the line to exit in the fender or what not. I havent smelled anything, but i mainly drive my supra when its nice outside with the roof off.

SupraStardom

Nov 11, 2006
Council Bluffs, IA
Poodles;1429180 said:
Charcoal canister is necessary for the health of your fuel pump...

i never heard of it affecting that. There have been numerous threads about this topic and i havent heard anyone mention that it affects the fuel pump. I know that the hose vents fuel tank vapors by recycling them through the engine so you dont smell it. well good thing junkyards are full of old hondas to take there canisters from. Maybe ill put one back on in some small nook or cranny so you cant see it

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
I've heard that if you wanna get rid of the charcoal canister, you'd need a vented gas cap to get the same effect. Apparently you can easily mod it to do this (but I couldn't tell you how).

Can't attest to the validity of this, as I still have my canister.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Makes good sense to keep it. Why mess with something that was designed to do a job? If you change the way a device works, it is no longer performing it's intended job, which could have unforeseen consequences. Not that cleaning things up and getting rid of completely unnecessary things is bad. Just know for sure what you are fucking with. :icon_bigg

Ninja Edit: I did notice that my 89 with no CC canister, or any means of pulling extra vapors from the tank, did have a lot of pressure under the cap when you went to take it off for refueling. Always wondered what was up with that. Guess I'm keeping my 87's CC canister!

slideways2004

Oct 7, 2008
Houston
I ran my previous car for about 2 years with no charcoal canister and had zero problems

the car was a 240sx with a sr20, but the same basic design. fuel pump was a walbrother and it ran fine. my new car is a 240sx with a 1jz. going to use the same brand fuel pump.

thanks for your help guys.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
And you know better than the people that designed the fuel system? Opinion or testimonials =/ fact, especially in the tech section.