Front Wheel Bearings Replacement Advice

jdc4357

Nov 18, 2007
missouri
Hi,
Wanting to replace the wheel bearings in my 88 while its torn down. On the tsrm it shows I need to replace the spindle nut (pic attached), but can't find it on champion toyotas site. Anyone got a part number? I was going to replace the bearings and this nut? Anything else? or any other advice?
Thanks,
jamieC

Attachments

• spindlenut.jpg
    spindlenut.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 166

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
the new bearing comes with the nut i think...if not, i dont think its going to give you any problems.

pressing the bearing center out of the hub is a bitch. i left the spindle on the car and used an air hammer to get it out.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
It's not hard. Besides a press, you'll also need a strong 2-jaw puller. The TSRM explains it all in fine detail. The order of operations is important. You can use large sockets and the old inner races instead of the special tools shown.

The nut is 90179-24005, and costs like $2. You'll also need the inner grease seal 90311-50008. Parts are here.

The large 32mm socket for that nut can be found at any auto parts store since many FWD cars use that size. An air impact wrench is pretty much necessary to get it off (147ft-lb).

Asterix

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
breaker bar + 4ft tube ftw...if you want to do it on the car like i did...but im a dumbass and do things a little different...instructions are for pussies, lol

jdc4357

Nov 18, 2007
missouri
Question.. How did you guys torque it back down? Trying to torque that thing to 140 in a vise doesnt seem like its going to happen. So I assume you did it on the car. I feel sorry for the ball joints doing that.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Well, my workbench and vice is stout enough to take 147 ft-lb, so I have done it that way. But, the last time I did this, I decided my impact wrench put out close enough to the right torque, so I just impacted it into place. Considering the size of those threads, I wasn't about to hurt it. My impact wrench probably only puts out 180 ft-lb max, so I turned the air down a little and ran the gun just until the nut stopped turning. Just don't go crazy and run the gun for too long.

With an 18"-long wrench, you need to push with 98lb to get 147 ft-lb. A decent bench and any vice should take that.

The front brakes during a hard stop put way more torque than that on the suspension. Let's estimate: 3800lb car at a 1/2g stop; assume 60% of the braking force is by the front brakes; that's 3800/2 * 0.6 / 2 = 570 lb stopping force on one front tire; the tire is pretty close to 2 feet in diameter, which gives us 570 ft-lb braking torque. Wow.

You could torque that nut with everything together and the tire on the ground, but it's really hard to get to the nut at that point.

Asterix

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
How long did it take to get out with just using an air hammer? The dealer wanted way to much money to do it and then said they didn't have the bearings once they did get it out so I just bought a used spindle off the board here. So far no problems

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
to do it with the air hammer, large snap rings and a torch it didnt take very long at all...now finding that exact combo was the time consumer...but even from start to finish and plenty of smoke breaks i think it was about a 4hr job, im sure i could do it in less than half that now.

the trick is to turn the wheel fully right, hit the bearing untill it stops, turn the wheel left and hit the other side of the bearing...just alternate back and forth till its all the way out. going back in is a snap.

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
Yea I figured going back in would be easy seeing as you can use the impact gun to snug it up. I will have to remember this for future reference. I broke a wheel stud on my last spindle and because of the ABS pulling the hub was the only way to replace but after hearing what the dealer said I went the alternate route as explained in my first post. Thanks for the info

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
toyzforme;1463966 said:
Yea I figured going back in would be easy seeing as you can use the impact gun to snug it up. I will have to remember this for future reference. I broke a wheel stud on my last spindle and because of the ABS pulling the hub was the only way to replace but after hearing what the dealer said I went the alternate route as explained in my first post. Thanks for the info

yea if all youre doing is a stud you shouldnt have to remove the race with an air hammer. infact once you get that nut off of the back it should pop out with a hammer

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
Asterix;1461765 said:
It's not hard. Besides a press, you'll also need a strong 2-jaw puller. The TSRM explains it all in fine detail. The order of operations is important. You can use large sockets and the old inner races instead of the special tools shown.

The nut is 90179-24005, and costs like $2. You'll also need the inner grease seal 90311-50008. Parts are here.

The large 32mm socket for that nut can be found at any auto parts store since many FWD cars use that size. An air impact wrench is pretty much necessary to get it off (147ft-lb).

Asterix

On my 89 that hub nut requires a 36mm socket. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the bearing out without a shop press, all of the pullers I've come across have arms that have too much of an angle on them to grab onto the slots on the ID of the hub to pull it away from the bearing.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Oops - I must've gone from memory for 32mm... 36 sounds correct.

I spent a few minutes with a bench grinder taking some metal off the 2-jaw puller's ends so it would fit into the two slots on the spindle. The puller I have is (from memory) a 12-ton 2- or 3-jaw Craftsman.

I also had to grind down the end of the big socket to get off the nut. The OD of the socket was too big to fit inside the spindle. My grinder did a quick job of that.

As I recall, getting the outer race out of the spindle requires a press. There's no other way to do that. Don't forget the snap ring.