front strut removal

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
hey guys whats the easiest way to remove the front strut? i have already taken it out, but just wondering if there are an easy to to do it. just wondering if you have to take the top arm off or is it easy to take the lower control arm off to get it off? just looking something easier to do for the next time i have to do it again. i left every thing on and took the springs off first and then the strut and wasn't easy but i managed to do it. the rears are no problem but its just the front with all the suspension components.

thanks

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
Take that huge loooooong bolt holding the upper control arm out and remove said arm, makes it a snap, wish Ida known that the first time I did my springs lol, took ne almost a week to figure out how to do that without the bolt hehe

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Just spend the 5 minutes (or less) removing the upper control arm.

I learned a long time ago that shortcuts typically take longer than doing it the 'right' way.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its really the only way to get the front shocks out. Only takes a min too. Can get shocks and springs done in like 30-40min.

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
yea funny thing too was, i was looking at the wish bone, and was like i think i have to take it off, but i just have those spring compressor and i shoved them in there and took my time taking them off, took a long time but i managed to do it. its just that i found lowering springs at the junk yard on a supra and going there next week to pick them up, or may be tomorrow depending on how the day is, they are from eibach and i cant complain since im only paying 15 bucks a piece for them.

also i already check the tsrm, just says to take the brakes off, i left the brakes on and still managed to get them off.

thanks for the info guys i appreciate it

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
3 nuts under the hood
upper control arm bolt
lower strut bolt

and pull that s.o.b. out
if you disconnect the sway end link it will be easier to take out/put back in.

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
hey guys, well like i said i picked up the lowering springs at the junk yard, and they are eibach, i paid only 42 bucks for them, looks in real good condition. this is a stupid question, but on the pic does the smaller set of springs go to the front and the bigger set go to the rear? just want to make sure before i put this on.

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
sorry forgot to put the pics, but isnt struts with spring all in one and shocks separate even tho its the same shit? like a 88 model mustang? thats how i see it as.

p1598029_1.jpg