Front seals leaking

MrBoost

SOGI 94
Apr 1, 2005
Hell Bent in Austin
I still have a massive oil leak on my 7MGTE. I changed the oil cooler lines since they were wet, but it's still happening. I get oil all over the st.rack, the crossmember, and then it sprays around making wet spots all over. Damn mess.

Anyhow, what's a typical signature if the cam or front-main is leaking? The timing cover it dirty, but it does not seem to seep oil. If it's the front seals, would the oil only leak out that small drain-hole under the crank pully?

I guess I need to reinspect the oil return hose near the FPR too.

Under the turbo is dry, that's good. Not sure about the turbo return at the block however. As noted, the oil is just coated everywhere.

This sucks.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Oil leaks can be tricky to narrow down, however, one of the best methods (and most time consuming) is to clean everything up and keep a very close watch on where the oil appears first.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
Yo jeff... if you can, i would pull the belts and timing covers off and clean inside there w/ a few cans of brake cleaner. thatll get rid of all the grease, residue and grime. it should dry clean too. so the minute you run it, the source of the leak will be easily visible.

and yes, the little hole on the bottom of the timing case is a bleed hole for oil stuffs if the front main seal is leaking... but if anything else leaks like the oil pump drive shaft, or misc bolts going into the oil galley leak, itll drip out down there too.

if your cam seals leak, chances are, itd be grimey behind the cam gears too.

if your pcv vent hose by the FPR is rock solid, there is a good chance its cracked somewheres too.

sammydafish

Boost Addict
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, NY
www.trdsupra.com
Funge just had to replace his front main seal becasue of this same issue.

check the cam seals first though, they are more comon to leak and are way easier to fix. just pull the plastic timing cover and clean everything up like chris said. you'll see after short running if it's leaking from the cam seals. if it's not, then it's the main or the oil pump shaft. if you've got to do one, might as well do both since it's all got to come appart anyway.

if it's the cam seals you're in luck, it's pretty damn easy to knock those out.