Front Mount Intercooler

jessetooslow

May 11, 2007
Tiverton, R.I.
My friend has a FMIC for sale, he only wants $100 for it, the dimensions are
28x12x4 with 3"in/3"out. would this be to much for a stock car, would this fit under a stock bumper cover? anyone have this size on their car, any pics? here is a pic of the intercooler on his car.

Attachments

• P1050308.jpg
    P1050308.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 194

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Even though it is a crazy good price it is definitely overkill for a stock car. I know it appears that bigger is always better but in this case it may actually limit the performance of your car.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
IJ.;1077590 said:
I use one that size here, it can be made fit well but there's a lot of fab work to do.

Hahaha^^^^^ stock car....did you mention to him to look at all the stuff you have done?...lmao

It is definately overkill, and sorry to say but the way it is mounted in your buddies car is ghetto as shit!

Go on cheap-bay and take a look. I am happy with the kit I got on there and it cost me like $220 shipped Intercooler, and generic piping. It is 2.5" but for only up to 500rwhp I feel it is plenty!

HTH,
Seth

xXslayrXx

Performance > Looks
Mar 25, 2008
Nawlins
Definitely overkill. If you plan on making more power in the future I'd say for a $100 offer him like $75 and just hold on to it. You could throw it on when you have supporting mods and more power. Just my $.02

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
I got the spearco Imitation from driftmotion and then made some hardpipes and added an HKS SSQV to mine, I only run 10psi, have 3inch turbo back, intake, and a few other small mods and it really seemed to help out, lessened the lag of the turbo, seems to pull harder especially from 3200 on you can really tell a difference. Not that it matters but it does make the spool louder which I love, part of my love of turbo engines is the sounds they make, they just do it for me haha.

I'd say your buddies is a lil too big and the fab work is a pain to do too.

Good Luck

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I'm doing a turbo swap into my N/A car, what is the biggest size that will fit in the stock location, without modification to the car?

I'm going to move the overflow tank. I also read on here original turbo cars have more space for an IC due to a different header panel. I starting searching this and there was vague info on it. I thought all of the header panels were the same size.

I was thinking of going as big as 30x12x3.

I'm going to try and get under there during the week and take some measurement, but I want to hear some opinions on different setups. The engine that will be going in will be a 1JZ if it matters.

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
I run the 32x12x3 intercooler. Before that I ran the porsche 944 intercooler. That SOB is thick. I had to cut my front support because of the way I wanted it mounted. And more airflow. But I reinforced it. Mounting it you really just sit it in there. Cut and make brackets to fit.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Thanks, I won't have problems mounting any IC, the thing is I don't know what the largest size IC people put without modification.

Reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at IC options now, and when I buy I want to get one that will fit this way.

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
Guyana00;1313958 said:
Thanks, I won't have problems mounting any IC, the thing is I don't know what the largest size IC people put without modification.

Reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at IC options now, and when I buy I want to get one that will fit this way.

With the 32x12x3 you have about 2 1/2'' on both sides in between the frame rails when its mounted.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Is that with the pipes mounted or do you have 2.5" left to put the pipes in there? do you have any pics of your setup?

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
Guyana00;1314572 said:
Is that with the pipes mounted or do you have 2.5" left to put the pipes in there? do you have any pics of your setup?

I have pics but every time I try to upload them it fails to upload. Okay your pipes are on the bottom end of the tanks. And you have about 2.5'' on both sides between the frame rails. My intercooler tops out at the top of the bumper support. There is more than enough room for your pipes.