Front lower control arm bushings ONLY?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes. Stock toyota come complete.

And beck/arnley is like a bootleg DVD and stock toyota is 1080 blue ray.

But they will work.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Front and rear sets of Energy poly bushings should be here shortly. Since this is a race car, I don't care about the squeak. I may not have time to replace ALL of the bushings before out first race, so I'll start with the ones I had to cut out to replace the frozen camber bolts.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Which is why the stockers aren't replaceable. All the braking force goes through the LCA bushings laterally. The stockers are molded in and flex but do not slide sideways. The poly bushing slide and the entire force of braking gets put on the bushing lips. Hit a bump while braking and the lip get torn and crushed. Crappy design.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Interesting. The Energy bushings showed up yesterday so I'll be working all weekend installing them. Our first race isn't until Nov, so I'll report back about how well they held up.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
3p141592654;2017344 said:
Which is why the stockers aren't replaceable. All the braking force goes through the LCA bushings laterally. The stockers are molded in and flex but do not slide sideways. The poly bushing slide and the entire force of braking gets put on the bushing lips. Hit a bump while braking and the lip get torn and crushed. Crappy design.

So in your opinion is it worthwhile to just replace the bushings for a strictly road car, or a waste of time in that they'll get messed up so quickly under normal driving conditions? My '88 is a DD, and needs either new bushings or new arms.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
I checked the contents of the Energy Suspension bushings boxes before I started, as others on this board have said that sometimes they received mis-matched parts. Sure enough, the box for the rears contained only 7 of the 2752 bushings and had an extra 2755.

I sent Aaron at Driftmotion an e-mail; hopefully he will respond quickly.

Since this car is already entered in a race, I went ahead and installed the ones in the rear lateral link bushing. I have a 12 ton press, but I'm having a hard time finding press arbors that fit well enough to press out the old shells, so I carefully cut them out. Makes for slow going. New ones went in easily enough.

I will probably remove the other arms and links and bring them to work and see if the guys in the shop can get them out easier.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Well it appears that the pre-89 factory lower control arms are discontinued from Toyota. Does anyone know if the 1991 lower control arm will fit without issue on a 1987 subframe? The part number is different.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Finished cutting out the frozen bolts, removing the old rubber bushings, and installing the poly ones over the weekend. That was truly a special time and I will treasure the memories forever, especially getting the old shells out of the arms.

Does anyone know: for the aluminum upper arms, front and rear, are the bushing shells to be removed? I haven't started on them yet, and the instructions weren't clear.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Even though I feel like I'm talking to myself here, I'll give a follow up. The front uppers are relatively easy. I was afraid the upper ball joint wasn't going to come loose from the steering knuckle, but it gave up without a fight. While the arm was off, I remove the upper ball joint cover and repacked with grease. The bushings pressed out with a Harbor Freight bearing puller and a large washer and new poly ones slid in easily with a press.

Now for the rear............

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I am in the process of overhauling my suspension replacing bushings and such and when I am driving at like 2-4mph I hear a metal clinging type sound from my rear left wheel area. I am going to get the traction, toe, and camber arms maybe it's just one of those making the noise.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
Doat;2018858 said:
I am in the process of overhauling my suspension replacing bushings and such and when I am driving at like 2-4mph I hear a metal clinging type sound from my rear left wheel area. I am going to get the traction, toe, and camber arms maybe it's just one of those making the noise.

i would bet that noise is the spherical bushing in the hub. ive had like 6 plus parts cars and the spherical bushings are always shot. for the most part the bushing are usually fine with the lower control arms being the second most worn part. as far as upper control arms they are only there to locate the hub and don't have near as much load on them as the lowers. ive never seen one where the balljoint actually has play in it. the bushings are always fine too. front and rear. so all in all id save money worrying about the uppers and buy TOYOTA spherical bushing for both sides along with lower control arms both sides. if they last 150-200k why on earth go with something else?? the poly bushings are cheap and i doubt they do anything better than good stock ones beside make noise lol. if you want to be fast around the track best bang for the buck is good tires tires tires tires....

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Thanks everyone I'll look into replacing the spherical bushings I've read they need to be pressed in and out is that right?

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
Doat;2019406 said:
Thanks everyone I'll look into replacing the spherical bushings I've read they need to be pressed in and out is that right?

yes they do. when i did the ones on my car i used a harbor freight balljoint press and large sockets. did it on the car too all i had to do was remove the suspension link to get access. you'll need a impact gun too to tighten the press or its gonna be a pita using a ratchet. ;)