Front end clunk when coming to a stop..

Lucky7M

Sep 13, 2014
California
I am getting this audible clunk and I can feel something shift when I'm coming to a stop. Bj's, inner and outer tie rods have been replaced as well as sway bushings with poly front and rear. These have been replaced to stay up to date as well as the hope of curing this clunk i'm getting. Any ideas what it may be? Thanks.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Ive had the same one you describe for as long as I can remember. I replaced every ball joint and suspension bushing including lower control arm bushings and its still there, though not as bad as previously. Only thing left is subframe bushings. Too bad the stock ones are not available anymore.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes they are. 89+ use the same bushing.

And i have a set if you would like to purchase them.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I had a similar problem long ago that was due to worn calipers. They would bind on the slides and then release with a snap. New calipers fixed the problem. I had replaced everything else like you describe.

Atlas

You call this a sandwich?
Aug 22, 2012
Clovis CA
CyFi6;2029519 said:
For the record, replacing the sub frame bushings completely resolved the clunk!!

Glad you got it sorted! I'm having the exact same problem...I replaced everything upfront except the lower arm bushings. How hard was it to get to the front subframe bushings? Looking at it, I think I'd need to support the engine up top.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Arent those bushings pressed into the subframe? How did you get them out without removing the subframe? I will admit i have never really taken a good look at them but im having a clunk when i come to a stop thats been aggravating me.

Mine sounds like its coming from the passenger side.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Have you retorqued your Subframe via the TSRM procedures? It's listed as a maintenance operation, but most people never do it. I was surprised with how loose mine were with less than 90k miles on the car. It made the car feel more solid when going over bumps like rail road tracks where I used to get a slight clunking. They get torqued to pretty high value. Just something you might want to try before you go out replacing the bushings.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
They are pressed in but they are not an extremely tight fit. I was able to use a big pry bar to pry them out. They have a metal washer on the bottom, you can pry between the subframe and the washer and they popped right out (it did take a lot of force)

Atlas

Aug 22, 2012
Clovis CA
I'm a klutz, so 94 ft-lbs up front and 133 in the rear as per the TSRM. I did the fronts with a breaker bar, and the passenger side (clunky side) was loose. I tightened it and it kinda made a difference. I will go back and tighten with a torque wrench both front and rear this weekend to the proper specs.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Just FYI it's a different torque spec for the pre89 subframes. I can get those torque specs from my 87 TSRM if anyone wants. I don't remember how much different the torques are, but I do remember they are different.

Atlas

Aug 22, 2012
Clovis CA
Silver MK3;2030075 said:
Just FYI it's a different torque spec for the pre89 subframes. I can get those torque specs from my 87 TSRM if anyone wants. I don't remember how much different the torques are, but I do remember they are different.

If you could dig out the pre89 sub frame torque specs and post them, that would great! Thanks!

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
No problem, here they are. The front is 83 ft-lbs and the rear is 133 ft-lbs. I assume this is for all pre89 subframes, but cannot completely guarantee. This is what the 87 TSRM says though.