Front doors: Anything I should do "while I'm in there?"

Clinton

Power Blue!!
Apr 8, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Okay, so I'm ears-deep in my front doors, installing new speakers. Considering what an annoying pain in the keester it is to pull the everything apart to get in there, is there anything I should do while I'm in there? I've got the typical 16-year-old-supra rattles, and I'm wondering if there's anything obvious and easy I should stick a wrench on and tighten up to silence some of the annoyance. I know that I need to tighten my hinges at some point, but I figured there may be some adjustment to take up slack in the window mechanism, so it doesn't seem so anemic, weak, and decrepit. (windows groan, creak, and rattle when you put them up and down -- kind of like my joints)

Anyhoo, as always, advice is appreciated!

Thankye!

CCC

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
fix the window rattle!! It's on my list of things to do. There's two little pads on each door you have to adjust, do a quick search on here or look through the TSRM or other manual for it.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I have the same problem with my passenger side window... it creaks and groans as it goes up and much slower than my driver side window. It even got stuck a couple times after only getting 3-4" up... anything that can be adjusted for the powe window to work a bit better? wd40?

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Add the auto window up module from AutoLoc to the passenger window and get auto up/down on both windows (even from both switches for the passenger window).

DyslexicSquirrel

Busy Member
Mar 9, 2006
San Marcos, TX
KeithH said:
Add the auto window up module from AutoLoc to the passenger window and get auto up/down on both windows (even from both switches for the passenger window).

wait... what?

I thought that mod was only for the Driver's side switch on the Driver's side window.

Grant it that all my contacts are sticky and they all seem to work like auto-mods... :) (kind-of)

Explain...

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Clinton said:
Can y'all elaborate a bit? is this a procedure in the TSRM?

Thanks!

CCC
Hell no son. The procedure is not in the tsrm. You just gotta do it by feeling around through the door. Find where the window track is at and clear out all the old nasty grease. Put some globs of new grease on your hand, rub it in the grooves. It might take a little while but fixes window rattle when the windows go up and down.

Clinton

Power Blue!!
Apr 8, 2005
Sacramento, CA
JustAnotherVictim said:
Hell no son. The procedure is not in the tsrm. You just gotta do it by feeling around through the door. Find where the window track is at and clear out all the old nasty grease. Put some globs of new grease on your hand, rub it in the grooves. It might take a little while but fixes window rattle when the windows go up and down.

*grins* didn't think I saw it in there, and it sounds like my kind of job! little precision, just dirt, gunk, and schmear :p

Now, this may be a totally obvious question, but is there any special type of grease I should use for this? is the garden variety chassis lube goop a good choice for this, or should I go with elsewhat I might find at NAPA specifically for lubricating mechanical bits like this (wiper linkages, window regulators, etc.)

Thanks again! y'all've been a great help!

CCC

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Clinton said:
*grins* didn't think I saw it in there, and it sounds like my kind of job! little precision, just dirt, gunk, and schmear :p

Now, this may be a totally obvious question, but is there any special type of grease I should use for this? is the garden variety chassis lube goop a good choice for this, or should I go with elsewhat I might find at NAPA specifically for lubricating mechanical bits like this (wiper linkages, window regulators, etc.)

Thanks again! y'all've been a great help!

CCC

Someone on these forums recommended something specific (brake grease maybe??) but I can't remember off-hand. I have a tube of it at home so I'll have a look when I get home and let you know.

Clinton

Power Blue!!
Apr 8, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Well, I schmeared the everything I could reach in there with wheel bearing grease, and it seems to have quieted a good many of the squeaks! thanks for the help guys!

CCC

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Did you fix the window-down-shut-door rattle? Was it something to adjust like someone said above or do I need to replace bushings or something?

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Ahhh... the infamous window down close door rattle. I too had this problem. I finally found out that I was missing a tiny rubber bumper that sits between the glass and the metal of the door when the window is down. Look for a stamped hole in the sheet metal of the inner door - you might want to take the panel off the other door and look for the placement of these bumpers (if your other door does not have the same rattle problem).

I also had a problem with the window sticking when going up. A squeeze from a tube of white lithium grease into the track took care of that problem nicely.

Keith

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Both of mine have it, pass. not as bad as driver though. So maybe its in there somewhere still.

Do you have a part number or something for these things? Or where they are in the EPC? I think I remember looking but not finding much...