Front Caliper Scratching

foofers

One who lurks.
Apr 3, 2005
SF, CA
Just tonight, my front left (driver's side) tire went flat. I pulled over to change it using the original 16 in. spare tire. Once installed I start driving and hear a scraping noise. I pulled over and pulled off the spare. For some odd reason it seems the spare is scraping against the top outer edge of the brake caliper. What would cause this? Either my spare is deformed or some how my caliper came loose? When I was using the spare and braking, I would get a really loud grinding noise. :cry:

*on a side note...i got my dash gauges working - it was a connector on the passanger side. thx supra90turbo. :icon_bigg

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
bowsercake said:
are you sure its not the dustpan scraping against the rotor?
:withstupi

There is a metal dust shield around the disc.. its easily bent and often touches and scrapes the disc... take a quick look

foofers

One who lurks.
Apr 3, 2005
SF, CA
I didn't have too much time/light to check things out, but I did notice that the top outer corner of the caliper is scratched, shiney, and I tried manually turning the spare wheel and it does get stuck and grind...I took off the wheel and checked the rotor and it turns fine.....I'll see if I can check out the dust shield once I get out of work.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
wierd. are you working with a round wheel? like if you looked at the inside of the spare does the skratch go the whole way around the inside of the wheel? is there any way to mount a spare off center? i dont really think so but you never know.

foofers

One who lurks.
Apr 3, 2005
SF, CA
It should be the original one....at least when I got the car it came with it. Also the spare is a 16in. I have used the spare before, but on the rear tires and it worked fine. The spare does seem to be scratched on the inside, but only a small part of it, not the entire diameter of the spare.

*I recently did take my car to have the engine mounts replaced

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
^^if the wheel was round it wouldnt skratch on only one part of the wheel. it would be around the entire circumfrence of the inside. unless you found a way to mount the wheel off center. if you wanted to you could jack the front of the car up, mount the spare on a front wheel and watch as you spin it by hand. you should see the problem then.