Front alignment bolts frozen, any tips?

LamaRossa

One and Only LamaRossa
Apr 6, 2005
ct
My front alignment bolts are frozen, the bit bolts with the markings on them. The nuts are lost, but I just can't turn those bolts!

I've tried an airgun and hammer! Anyone got any tricks?

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
is the car on stands? If there is load on the vehicle it might be harder to turn it. You should spray some PB Blaster in there, on both sides. That might help loosen it up.

also, make sure you are turning it both ways, it might be maxed out the way that you are turning it.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Not sure which bolt you talking about but if you can get a breaker bar or a big ratchet on it and use a pipe for leverage you may have more luck, also don't forget your wd-40 or pb blaster.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Add some more heater ducts from home depot? ;)
(just kidding)

If it won't shift with a big breaker bar you will probably end up destroying the bushings no matter what you try to get em out..

NeatOman

Never know enough!
Oct 5, 2006
Addison, IL
Thought my dad was retarded when he told me not to put on any oil on some rotors i couldn't take off (i put PB blaster on one side), But! to put water on rusted (stuck) shit!? works a shit load better then oil. If it had oil.... water wont work anymore, has to be 100% dry.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
chances are the alignment cams are rusted solid into the bushing's inner sleeve...VERY common problem on the MKIII.

there is nothing you can do to free them- heat will only destroy the bushing.

get a die grinder and a 20 pack of cut off wheels....and prepare yourself for hours of fun. cut the alignment cams so you can remove the arms, get new bushings and cams for the arms, install.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ yep. i did mine a few months ago. by far, it was the most pain in the ass job i've done on the supra. i'd rather pull 6 motors in 6 days than do that crap again. :(

i used a sawzall, and a torch when i finally got fed up with it. (short bursts with the torch). i had new nylon bushings, so i didn't give a damn about the old ones.

also, do yourself a favor while they're out. clean up the surrounding areas around the tabs that the eccentric lobes rub against with a wire wheel and some brake cleaner. bend the tabs perpendicular to the chassis. (how they're supposed to be, and many of them will be bent). then run a bead of weld behind each one on the outside to prevent it from bending ever again.

when i pull my rear subframe for the solid spacer install, i'll be doing the same back there while i have it all out. the rear of my car is a tiny bit out, and that's the best it'll be until i can fix those tabs.

my alignment guy loved me for that.

use LOTS of antiseize (i call it seldom-seize, heh) on re-installation.

good luck!

-shaeff

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
drjonez said:
chances are the alignment cams are rusted solid into the bushing's inner sleeve...VERY common problem on the MKIII.

there is nothing you can do to free them- heat will only destroy the bushing.

get a die grinder and a 20 pack of cut off wheels....and prepare yourself for hours of fun. cut the alignment cams so you can remove the arms, get new bushings and cams for the arms, install.

agreed. I found that in addition to the grinding wheels, get a high quality de-burring bit and use it after you have cut off as much of the cam bolt as possible. It cuts through the metal ridiculously fast.

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
Just take the nut off, and they should pull right out. :1zhelp:

Just kidding.
Sorry to break it to you, but you are Fucked.
They are the worst bolts ever. Very carefully with a cutting torch is how I did it.
I tried everything else I had before I got out the torch, then it was quick.
Good luck Lam.:icon_razz

corewitz

Dec 6, 2005
Omaha NE
i had the same problem. Snow sucks. what i did is use the pb blaster and slowly hit the bolt back and forth with a hammer while lubricating it up. It took about 15min per bolt but it broke all the rust loose and the bolt became easier to turn