From WHP to MPG

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
Sooooooooooooooo...as most of you know, I sold my 7MGTE out of my Poopra. well, I've dropped in a 7MGE since then. I need a couple things to get it up and running again, but I've got a fix on them and my Poopra should be up and running by the end of next week, depending on how much time I have.

Other than that, I've acquired a 1988 Honda Civic LX. Free from Rodel (Thanks again). It was taking up space at his house and just wanted it gone. I graciously accepted it. It's Gold w/ brown interior. fully stock. After some careful thinking, planning, and researching, I've dubbed this civic: Project hElla Fresh.

First thing was first, it got a wash and I cleaned up all the windows, and vacuumed the interior. This car was bone stock, down to the original head unit. Which was first swapped to a Kenwood Unit, because I only had one good tape: A Tribe Called Quest "Midnight Muraders". The next small thing was replace the factory healight corners with some JDM Tyte Amber's. The tranny was also original and slipping. So it was swapped out with a perfectly funcioning tranny. No plans for going 5-speed just yet.

Since the civic is my daily beater and gets around 350 miles to the tank, it wont be getting expensive and extensive mods that will keep it down for days. instead, i just want it to be clean. As for my Poopra, it will be my secondary daily/weekend car. It's N/A, but it's still a lot more fun than the civic!

The latest things to go on the EF was JDM window visors and a set of Front and Rear Strut Bars and Front and Rear Lower Tie Bars. Surprisingly, they did make a difference. It's stiffer than before. LoL.

Here are the pics so far:

Amber Corners
p1174469_1.jpg

Window Visors
p1174469_2.jpg

p1174469_3.jpg

Rear Strut Bar
p1174469_4.jpg

I installed a Front Strut Bar, Front and Rear Lower Tie bars too, but not enough light to take pictures.

As you can see, it needs new fenders and a hood, so they will be replaced with their JDM Counterparts. After, it will be getting painted, but I still can't decide on what color. Then shocks & springs and some wheels.

Now I know why people fix up these cars, parts are dirt cheap! LoL.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Nice you can't argue with free! Strut braces on hondas make a big difference unlike supras. Next on the list should be some wheels off a newer civic or some aftermarket. What motor do you have to work with?

A-to-the-J

Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
ms07s;1174504 said:
Nice you can't argue with free! Strut braces on hondas make a big difference unlike supras. Next on the list should be some wheels off a newer civic or some aftermarket. What motor do you have to work with?

Single Cam D15. I really don't want to mess with the motor or bother doing a swap. it gets 30+ MPG! As I said, I just want the car to be clean. The shocks are blown, so I'm thinking of getting a set of Tokico Blue's since they're like $200 and Springs are like $100 LoL. I'm not sure what wheels to put on it as I haven't decided a color to paint the car.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
If your going to lower it make sure to get an alignment kit for it. Yea moding a d15 is a waste of time, just tune it up and roll the hell out of it. If I still worked at Honda I would hook you up, but thats over now. With a tan interior, dark emerald green would be a good exterior color. Silver wheels match well with most colors.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Can't go wrong with a black and tan combo ;)

Yeah, now that you're making it nice, you tend to wonder why people cut the springs or do other silly hackjob mods when aftermarket stuff is so cheap...

A-to-the-J

Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
ms07s;1174548 said:
If your going to lower it make sure to get an alignment kit for it. Yea moding a d15 is a waste of time, just tune it up and roll the hell out of it. If I still worked at Honda I would hook you up, but thats over now. With a tan interior, dark emerald green would be a good exterior color. Silver wheels match well with most colors.

Adjustable camber arms are cheap too. Don't worry, I've got all the bases covered...well, at least the obvious ones. Wheels are planned to be silver, or if a color would fit it well, bronze.

Poodles;1174618 said:
Can't go wrong with a black and tan combo ;)

Yeah, now that you're making it nice, you tend to wonder why people cut the springs or do other silly hackjob mods when aftermarket stuff is so cheap...

I saw a clean Black SC300 with a Black and Tan Interior scheme. It looked nice! You're right, I STILL don't understand why people do cut springs, especially on Civic's. As I said, aftermarket parts for this thing is cheap. LoL.

I was pondering a carbon hood and trunk because they are cheap, but decided against it. just wouldn't fit right....Well, to me at least.

x10secondzx2

I love you.
Nov 25, 2007
Viera, Florida
www.myspace.com
ms07s;1174548 said:

You sir can't be couldn't be more wrong. D-15's are awesome. B-series is where the fail is at.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
x10secondzx2;1174740 said:
You sir can't be couldn't be more wrong. D-15's are awesome. B-series is where the fail is at.

Having worked at honda for 7 years, modding a D15 is a waste. Yes D-series are wonderfull easy to work on motors. Keep them stock and you will get 300k out of them easy. I don't know how many blown d-series we had from people "building" them (at least one a week). Now if your talking a proper build with engine management and forced induction (rare around here), thats different. Though no longer cheep.;)

x10secondzx2

I love you.
Nov 25, 2007
Viera, Florida
www.myspace.com
Loki;1174982 said:

I will tell you straight up. I just don't like them. I think they are too much money for not enough motor. And I think haveing a fast D-series is a hell of a lot more baller than a B-series. Plus there is a pretty well known guy around here where I live named Dave Green, he has a turbo D15 CRX that runs 11's.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
D's and B's are both fails....you need to swap in a F22. Cheap, easy to work on, and you can get 250-300hp all day long for the price you pay for a B series. Downside is you have a civic so you would have to do some modding to make it work.

A-to-the-J

Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
Clueless;1177127 said:
D's and B's are both fails....you need to swap in a F22. Cheap, easy to work on, and you can get 250-300hp all day long for the price you pay for a B series. Downside is you have a civic so you would have to do some modding to make it work.

Guys, could you take the D & B series talk elsewhere please? I've said before, this civic will not get any engine upgrades. I just want this car to be CLEAN. It's my daily beater and I :love: my 300+mi to the tank.

OT: I think it's the F22A that is teh shit. I forget what Mr. Bisimoto uses.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
A-to-the-J;1177196 said:
Guys, could you take the D & B series talk elsewhere please? I've said before, this civic will not get any engine upgrades. I just want this car to be CLEAN. It's my daily beater and I :love: my 300+mi to the tank.

OT: I think it's the F22A that is teh shit. I forget what Mr. Bisimoto uses.

sorry bub...couldn't help but bash the over-hyped b-series

A-to-the-J

Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
It's cool. ok, well I found out the all powerful honda engines from Bisimoto:

Bisimoto Engineering said:
Bisimoto's best drag times

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]World's Fastest All-Motor SOHC Honda[/FONT]​
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1988 CRX Unibody, D16 full street:
    12.68 @ 107mph[/FONT]​
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1988 CRX Unibody, D15 full race:
    10.77 @ 123mph[/FONT]​
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1988 CRX Unibody, F22A full race:
    9.81 @ 139mph[/FONT]​
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2006 Insight Unibody, F22A:
    9.42 @ 146mph[/FONT]​

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
A-to-the-J;1177299 said:
It's cool. ok, well I found out the all powerful honda engines from Bisimoto:

it also depends which f22a you get...the most powerful stock f22a is the f22a6. it has second set of intake runners that open for a better high end intake volume when you need it while maintain torque.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I love 4 door ef civics. I used to have a 90 ex and I beat the shit out of that car.

If going to mod it, I would stay single cam, get a d16 block throw some vitara pistons with some rods,vtec head, a 50-57 trim turbo, and rock out with 300+whp.