from rich to lean

ndial2498

Jun 3, 2008
Medford
I have a aem wideband, iam running 10 lbs of boost with stock injectors, stock afm i got 2.5 hardpipes, k&n, walboro fuel pump.. when i hit full boost the afr is a solid 10, when i release the throttle it drops all the way down to 16- then quickly jumps back to 14.8-15.2. My worry is why it runs so rich. 10 is as rich as it reads so iam sure its richer. I know rich is better than leaning out so is this cool?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
When you let out of the throttle quickly, the fuel injectors are cut (do not inject fuel), which is why you're going from rich, to super lean (usually off the charts lean), then when you bring it to an idle, the injectors are firing again.

Any zero-throttle, in-gear coasting will be full lean. It's normal.

And you need to tune. 10afr's are pretty rich, especially if you think you're even more so. Too rich, you run the risk of cylinder wash, which is when fuel seeps past your piston rings, and will inevitably thin out your oil, thus killing it's lubrication abilities, and if let go long enough could even contribute to rod-knock. ;)

ndial2498

Jun 3, 2008
Medford
again? What to tune with do u mean a safc or mft pro, dont have any of those i thought a/f ratios were tweakable to a degree without these.? ive never had it dyno tuned. Sorry for the ignorance new to the tuning game.

Last edited:

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
ndial2498;1295237 said:
again? What to tune with do u mean a safc or mft pro, dont have any of those i thought a/f ratios were tweakable to a degree without these.? ive never had it dyno tuned. Sorry for the ignorance new to the tuning game.

Yes you actually need a " Tuning Device "

I had just a Safc for basics. It's nothing great, but it is better than nothing at all.

I would look into tuning devices or a stand alone, or piggyback system.