From auto to r154 on 1J

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
I've searched through the forums for quite a bit last night and today and found nothing about my question. I came across an 88 turbo with auto tranny. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I wanted to stick with the 7m but I'm having thoughts about swapping a 1j in it (since the HG is already blown on the 7m). My question is when I swap the 1j in I want to swap out the auto for a 5spd. Is this the same concept as swapping an auto to r154 on the 7m? Also I've been trying to find the BIC mounts to get the 1j to fit without swapping cross members and I can't seem to find them anywhere to purchase. Thanks in advance.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
Yes, it's basically the same concept but with some added conversion parts. For the 1JZ to bolt up to the R-154, you'll need a 1JZ/R-154 bellhousing and a 1JZ-GTE flywheel. Everything else is 7M-GTE parts which I'm sure you've already researched.

BIC motor mounts that you will need are at www.driftmotion.com as well as everything else for the swap.

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
Another question. What if the I get the 1jz with the auto tranny? Will it fit with no mods? Or do I have to modify the tranny area in order to make it fit? Thanks again