Fried 2 1jz's, Any Ideas?

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
I swapped a friends old 1jz engine into my current supra and it started acting up within 200 miles, the oil pressure was low and it the RPMs dropped when I hit the clutch. It was crankwalk. I attributed this to him running a really heavy clutch on the motor with no neutral start disable. The end result was that even though the engine sounded fine; the cams were ground up in the head due to lack of oil, the oil pan was full of silver shavings, and my turbo was fried.

Eventually I got up the nerve to swap in another 1jz. I bought one from an importer that was originally automatic. I used parts from the original engine such as the water pump but nothing from the original oiling system and I got a new turbo and oil lines. Just like the first engine, I was running an ACT HD pressure plate and full face clutch with the neutral start disabled. I always started the car in neutral with my foot off the clutch. Three weeks after I started driving the car again, I shifted gears while getting on it and I heard a metallic scrape noise from the engine bay. I thought it might be something loose so I ignored it at the time. The next day, I drove the car around to do some errands and I noticed the RPMs had started dropping when I pushed in the clutch. This got worse and worse until by the time I got home, the engine would stall if you push in the clutch. Crankwalk again! I pulled the valve covers and some cam caps, and sure enough my cams were fried from lack of oil just like the last engine. Silver shavings were everywhere.

I've done several 1jz swaps before this with no problems, its only been this one car. I used Mobile 1 5w-30 and I didn't even drive far enough to do my break in oil change on the 2nd engine.

These two failures seem too similar to be coincidence. I've gone over it in my head many times and I can't think what I did to cause it. Everything points to some failure in the oiling system, the heads both had very little oil in them, as if it just wasn't making it up there, the first turbo had a discolored shaft as if it wasn't getting any oil as well. Both engines showed oil pressure and the 2nd engine showed good oil pressure the whole time. Any suggestions?

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
I remember reading early model 1JZs had crank walk issues. There's a picture floating around on google images comparing the two for identification.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The heavy act pressure plate can be some of the issue as well. even tho you disabled the clutch start switch it still puts a lot of stress on the thrust bearing.

IF you throw another 1j in replace the stock oil pump for a 2jzgte one. it flows more oil.

silversup

Supraluva
May 25, 2005
Philly
The way I see it, we are looking at 25 year old motors now. I am going with the built 2jz bottom end when mines gives the last cough. It will always be hit or miss until you put in something that is fresh and built right.

festa2

Oct 25, 2015
New Zealand
are you running a relocated oil filter? if so are your lines around the way. if there not you will be trying to push oil backwards through your "anti drainback valve" in your oil filter which will lead to oil starvation

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Did you reuse your lower oil pan?

I've been using the ACT extreme clutch on my JZ motors for years, thousands of miles, countless pulls and startups. Others have too.

You have an oiling issue, not a clutch issue.

I've also been using 2JZ oil pumps for six or seven years, but oil pressure is oil pressure.

I remember when I first tried to get my JZ motor to find oil pressure. I called everybody, took parts off, lots of headaches...

Then Aaron@driftmotion says, "is the oil pan bent?" Sure enough, what seemed like just BARELY any deformation in the lower pan was removed and reinstalled, I got oil pressure quickly. If there is ANY deformation of the lower pan, it is suspect.

Lots of people put these engines on the floor on the pans, etc.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
I'm not running a relocated oil filter.

I didn't reuse the oil pan. I bought a 2nd rear sump motor with a new oil pan. The original one was full of shavings.

The 2nd motor had good pressure from the start to the day I parked it. If it had an oil pressure issue, it wasn't registering on the gauge.

I agree that the oiling issue is the root cause of the problems. I just don't know what the oiling issue is. The only part of the oiling system that I changed from stock was to run lines for the single turbo and the driftmotion adapter for the oil pressure sender. I thought at one point that maybe without a restrictor on the turbo I had diverted too much of the pressure somehow, but the turbos on both motors overheated severely from lack of oil (discolored internals).

I haven't pulled apart the 2nd motor yet, but disassembly of the 1st motor revealed a completely shot thrust bearing, and a perfectly fine oil pump.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
That sucks.

I still suspect the pickups on the pans are too close to the pan itself. This is a tough one...

Last edited:

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
Keep us posted. Maybe it was just luck of the draw. The supra I have now has had a heavy clutch for the past 7 years and no walk issues. Fingers cross the motor does not give out. It too has an act clutch.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
This is tough man. What oil filters are you using? Did you use new O-rings and gaskets when you put the pan, the pickup, and the pump onto the block?

Basic questions, but I'd really like to find out what caused the problem.