fresh rebuild slight problem

87ttsupra

Wee turbo!!!
Apr 9, 2008
pueblo west
okay so i have a fresh rebuild on my 7m with new pistons rods valves ect. i put the whole bottom end together and turned the crank with a breaker bar to make sure it all spined fine and it did. but now that i have the head torqued down i can not move the carnk!!!1 its scareing the crap out of me. i can turn the cams and every thing with no problem so i dont think a valve is causeing a problem. i lube the crap out of all the bearings and rod bearings. so im not quite sure why now that the heads on i cant turn it. so if you have any ideas or suggestions please let me know. really hoping to drop the motor in tomarow. but if i cant figure it out im not going to.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Can you turn the crank the other way? Could be that the piston is hitin the head. Did you use a stock head gasket or metal?

jstutzm

Jun 23, 2010
Largo, FL
If you're concerned with your piston/valve clearance one easy way to check if anything is making unwanted contact is to get a few cans of play-doh. Pull the head off and put a can (or a half can) of play-doh in each of the cylinders on top of the pistons. Put the head and head gasket back on and rotate the crankshaft. If anything pushes completely through the play-doh, you will know where the contact is being made. I used this method on a few big blocks I built and it was great for checking piston and valve clearances. Just make sure to wipe any remaining play-doh off all the parts when you are done.

87ttsupra

Wee turbo!!!
Apr 9, 2008
pueblo west
no spark plugs were out. i took the head back off and i took the oil pan off and oiled the crap out of the craank and everything in the bottom end let it sit for 20 min and the used a ratchet and 4foot poll and got it moving. i think it just sat to long and dried out in areas but its all good now. Motor IS IN THE CAR!!!!!

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
There's no way the valves would be hitting the pistons with stock cams. 7Ms are non-interference, as are almost all Toyota engines. The play-doh idea is a good technique though...and as you've learned, it's not always easy to hand turn an engine by yourself. As long as everything is oiled fine, there's not much bad you can do to the engine. I agree that it was probably just dried and preferred not moving at all after doing so for a while.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Orion ZyGarian;1608061 said:
There's no way the valves would be hitting the pistons with stock cams. 7Ms are non-interference, as are almost all Toyota engines. The play-doh idea is a good technique though...and as you've learned, it's not always easy to hand turn an engine by yourself. As long as everything is oiled fine, there's not much bad you can do to the engine. I agree that it was probably just dried and preferred not moving at all after doing so for a while.

UCF Huh? What year/color supra? Sorry to get OT

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
87ttsupra;1607739 said:
no spark plugs were out. i took the head back off and i took the oil pan off and oiled the crap out of the craank and everything in the bottom end let it sit for 20 min and the used a ratchet and 4foot poll and got it moving. i think it just sat to long and dried out in areas but its all good now. Motor IS IN THE CAR!!!!!

Good luck bro let us know if everything turns out good. :beer:

87ttsupra

Wee turbo!!!
Apr 9, 2008
pueblo west
CyFi6;1607814 said:
WTF did you seriously use a breaker bar to get the crank in your engine moving?

yeah i did. got it spinning with no problems after that spined smoother then it ever has

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

the motors in but the turbo hits the damn strut tower area... so my smart ass friend said cut a whole in it..... and he did:( the turbo fits. but theres a nice hole now that i have to fix!!

87ttsupra

Wee turbo!!!
Apr 9, 2008
pueblo west
MarkIII4Me;1608151 said:
Guess you managed to bend/break whatever was making contact.

nothing broke. brand new rings pistons and bearings make it harder to turn an engine over by hand on an engine stand. I rechecked everything to make sure nothing broke.