Fresh build weird issues need some help

jg5899

Mar 28, 2009
California
Backlash2032;1829212 said:
They look like NPRs. If the P.O. put a lexus AFM on with stock injectors that could easily run lean enough to turn your ringlands to dust.. Like pictured.

I believe this is what happened, previous owner had a lexus AFM on the car when i purchased it.

89niner
I have hope to do some more upgrades in the future, I figured the 680's would be good. Better to have more than not enough right?

jg5899

Mar 28, 2009
California
89niner;1829280 said:
Will you be running the 680's before you do your added upgrades? Btw upgrage you rotating assembly first and do it right!

Nope everything will be done at the same time. Rotating assembly?

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
Pistons, rods, 7m have a forged crankshaft but have it checked anyway, most machine shops will check it for free, if its good have it polished, and keep all your parts very very clean, use latex gloves when you install the main & rod bearings so oil from you hands dosent get on the bearings

jg5899

Mar 28, 2009
California
Oh definitely, that was at the top of my todo list, everything was checked as well as the crank I had it micro polished and balanced.

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
Sweet! GL with your build I hope you get to enjoy your car for many miles. Oh I forgot to mention you said you were going to upgrade your intercooler, you might already know this but replacing the piping and connections is a good idea! (You might have already done this lol) you don't want a boost leak on your new engine. And one more thing, are youdoing the work yourself? (Except things normally done at machine shop)

jg5899

Mar 28, 2009
California
Thanks I hope so too! Lol yes, intercooler and piping all being done as well, thanks for the advice though its much appreciated.
Yes all work will be done by myself except for the machine shop work.

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
Oh sweet I'm totally down with the do it yourselfers! also since you do have your engine apart you may want to go with arp main bolts and rod studs, they are well worth the money and will save you headaches from bearing troubles, have a friend that rebuilt his 7mgte and his number two main bearing went out twice! Cause = factory main bolts, replaced with arp, problem solved. Boost will find the weakness in your engine and expliot them untill your broke. Btw I love supramania the folks on here are awesome and extremely helpful and very entertaining at times.

jg5899

Mar 28, 2009
California
The new build is gonna have all arp hardware so no issues!

Soo an interesting question came up while the machine shop was doing the work on the block. There was a bearing below the inlet housing on the right hand side of the block. He asked if the 7m block was ever used in another application that used a distributor.
Reason he was so concerned was because he had anther 7m block that he was doing an entire short block build on and noticed that the other guys block did not have the same bearing as mine. Have any of you encountered this?? Ill see if I can get some pictures to better explain what I'm talking about!

jg5899

Mar 28, 2009
California
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335115040.990997.jpg
The bearing is right below that internally. I'll see if tomorrow I can stop by the machine shop and take some pictures of it.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I've noticed early blocks have the bushing and late blocks do not.

It was for the oil pump driven distributor in the early blocks. Like ms and 2ms and such.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

jg5899

Mar 28, 2009
California
Well it's been a little over a month and I have finally gotten the rebuilt motor in. Fired it up and sounds great now just to work out a few bugs, a power steering leak, a small oil leak, coolant gauge, and trying to get the afc to work.

I'm using a Safc 2 to dial in the 680cc injectors but it seems to not be receiving a signal from the afm. I've been doing some reading and found that the output from the meter is 3hz with the key on motor off, and idles at about 15-18hz. Yet I am reading 3hz at all time and acceleration cuts off at 3k rpm.

I have double and triple
Checked all wires and solder joints and everything is solid.... I am lost! Any one have any ideas?

Also the coolant gauge is not working all wiring is intact is there any way to test the actual sensor? I broke the cold start switch during the build but I dont think that affects the gauge, or am I wrong?
Any input is appreciated thanks!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338423044.566800.jpg