"freeze plugs" in upper intake mani??

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i took off my upper intake mani today to clean it off and polish it and began cleaning out the EGR runner, as it is of course dirty as hell!! so i notice[as i have before and i'm sure several of us have] that the mani has three "freeze plugs" on it[one on each end and one at the end of the EGR runner]

my question is has anyone knocked these out to clean it up inside?? i called the local toyota parts depo and the fella there told me he dosn't see a part to order for that... could i go to napa and order universal freeze plugs to fit??

john

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
maybe they are casting holes?

you could measure them if you really want to take them out. if i were you id leave them in.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i only thought about taking them out cuz i know it's dirty as sin inside there and that certainly can't be helping airflow any....

any ideas how to clean it without taking them out??....would a grease strip chemical harm the aluminum??

john

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Don't take them out...they are casting plugs, you'll never get them to seal again. A good solvent will help desolve the carbon/oil residue in the intake manifold...let it soak. There are also a couple of products on the market guys have used here to clean the top of their pistons while they have the head off doing a BHG repair...that should work really well. A round brush with a flexible metal shaft can get up the runners and inside pretty well.

When I ceramic one of these, the bed polisher I use removes all the carbon inside...a nice plus.