Freeing the Crank Pulley

Apostle

Jun 3, 2007
Philly
Okay i got a bit of a problem. I'm doing my timing belt, so I need to get the crank pulley off. I managed to get the crank pulley bolt off, that was easy. But the damn pulley wont come off, im confused, theres no bolt and it still seems to be on just as tight. Any ideas? I'M GOING NUTS :aigo:

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
*do this at your own risk!!

use a rubber mallet at the bottom while prying with a screw driver on top. you'll feel it coming out slowly

be very gentle to damage the pulley. it is very brittle.

ed.d.

Apostle

Jun 3, 2007
Philly
im just gonna get a puller b/c this SOB doesnt wanna come off, where do I buy a Pulley Puller? I went to local auto parts store, all they had was a pulley pullers for small pullers. Can I get one from the dealer?

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
Apostle;1169016 said:
im just gonna get a puller b/c this SOB doesnt wanna come off, where do I buy a Pulley Puller? I went to local auto parts store, all they had was a pulley pullers for small pullers. Can I get one from the dealer?

prolly can but be aware that stealer-ship prices are way more compared to a local parts store. try napa.

ed.d.

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
you dont want a pulley puller, you want a two-bolt puller like a steering wheel puller or the like. Then use two bolts that bolt into the pulley holes next to the center hole, and pull it out. If you use a three jaw puller it will probably damage the pulley

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
BSWK14.jpg

something like that

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The one I have can be two bolt or 3 bolt and works on steering wheels as well.

It's not small enough to remove the timing gear behind the crank pulley though, that required me to get inventive...

Apostle

Jun 3, 2007
Philly
I just bought one from an auto parts store, it's a harmonic balancer/steering wheel Puller. The only problem is the bolts that came with it dont fit, I guess I have to goto the hardware store :/

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
If you (or anyone else reading this) broke off any material in attempts to get it off, you would be better served to trash it as soon as it comes off. You don't want an unbalanced hunk of metal at the front of your rotating assembly.

Apostle

Jun 3, 2007
Philly
Ok, I got the Pulley Puller and managed to get it off with ease

p1170144_1.jpg

But now im bugging out because I think I damaged something. I piece came off of the thing behind the pulley. Is this how it is suppose to be? or did I break it?

p1170144_2.jpg

p1170144_3.jpg

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
Make sure that when you put that crank pulley back on, you crank that bolt down to 195ft/lbs. If you don't have torque wrench, buy one or borrow one or something. It is very important that that bolt gets tightened down properly. I would also use some blue threadlocker on it as well.

There are countless stories around here of that pulley coming loose. When it does it will destroy your crankshaft. And I bet 99% of them coming loose are from the bolts not being torqued down properly. It seems no-one can figure out how to do it properly.

You will need someone to wedge a prybar in the flywheel teeth to hold the motor while you tighten it.