Found this under my car, what is it? R154/Engine rear mounting

rcsupra

Supraddict
Sep 19, 2007
Harrisonburg, VA
Hey all,

Today I had the car jacked up and was looking underneath, and saw this hexagon twist screw-thing. I have no idea (obviously) what it is, or what it does. I noticed that the area around it (the engine rear mount brace according to the TSRM) was greasy and covered in something, and noticed that this hex-thing was loose. However, twisting it with your hand tightened it in either direction. Presuming tight=good I tightened it, but there is no mention or picture of this thing in the TSRM. Any ideas? Thanks, just want to make sure whether or not its anything vital and if it should be loose or tight.

img4455me5.jpg

img4456jw1.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It ummm limits travel in the rear mount ;)

I leave mine loose as it's an auto so doesn't shock the driveline hard, manual I used to tighten mine to help stop the shaft hammering up and down on changes.

It's a trial and error thing.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
You might want to fix that oil leak as well. Oil tends to trash out rubber mounts(like on the trans) pretty quick.

rcsupra

Supraddict
Sep 19, 2007
Harrisonburg, VA
cuel said:
You might want to fix that oil leak as well. Oil tends to trash out rubber mounts(like on the trans) pretty quick.

Yep, rear main seal is gone I suppose. I've been monitoring oil consumption and its not too bad. I'll have to look for a documented RMS replacement thread or something, but as I don't have access to a garage at the moment its not something I'm looking forward to :icon_conf Thanks for that bit of info though