Found a SC300 2jz for $500, is that a good buy?

iMod

Oct 9, 2007
Centralia/Chehalis
I just found a 2jz from a SC300 on craigslist for $500. Is that a good deal? I live in Washington though and it's in California so I'd either have to drive down there or have them ship it to me if they'd be willing to do that. Do you guys think it's worth the effort for the price? Or is that a pretty standard price on a 2jz N/A from a SC300

iMod

Oct 9, 2007
Centralia/Chehalis
This is the info he has on craigslist. He says on the title it's a Supra or SC300 engine.

This item is a used engine that was imported from Japan. This engine has a rough estimate of 40,000-60,000 miles. Engine has been tested for compression and inspected for any faulty parts.
The original engine code for this item is: 2JZGE

iMod

Oct 9, 2007
Centralia/Chehalis
yea I was actually wondering about that too. Cos I was told the 92 Soarers had the turbo 1jz engine. It just made me wonder if he meant it was compatible with a sc300.

supraGhost

Dec 14, 2007
PA
[shaeff edit: sell, or market your sales in the for sale forum, after you've got enough posts, or have been a member for long enough.]

Jo3f1sh

Noob
Jul 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
I wouldn't believe most of what's said in that ad. That's a USDM motor since, as stated earlier, JDM models had either a single turbo (VVTi) or twin turbo 2.5L 1JZ. So the fact that it was imported (by saying it came from a JDM Soarer) is already false. Second, they have a 20K mile gap between the estimated mileage. They more than likely have NO idea how many miles the motor has on it, or they know it's over 100k but figure it'll probably be ok and no one will ever notice. And lastly, i doubt they actually did a compression test. If they did, i'd ask for pictures with the actual gauge in the motor pictured to show the numbers.

Any way you put it, it looks fishy. And if it's too good to be true, it always is.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
BlackDevilSupra said:
Technically, JDM SC300's (or Soarers in that part of the world) all had 1JZ's in them ;).
So, since seller is obviously oblivious, then I'll stay away.

Most had a 1JZ, not all.

It's perfectly possible that the engine is from a Soarer, but I wouldn't want to put money on it. ;)

Jo3f1sh

Noob
Jul 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Sorry for the misinformation. I just remembered, the Soarer was offered as the 3.0 GT and used the 2JZ-GE after '94. They replaced the V8 in Japan that year.

So technically, that could be from a JDM Soarer...but i wouldn't trust it.

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
8/91 for a Supra? I was under the impression that the US got the mk4 for 93, and Japan for for 93.5. Either way, I don't recall a 92 Supra anywhere having a 2JZ in it.

I could be wrong though

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
BlackDevilSupra said:
Technically, JDM SC300's (or Soarers in that part of the world) all had 1JZ's in them ;).
So, since seller is obviously oblivious, then I'll stay away.

Not true. They didn't all have 1JZs in them.

Soarers had 1JZ-GTE, 2JZ-GE, and 1UZ engines in them.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
I paid $250 for a 2jzge with 130k on it w/harness, ECU, and all the accessories. I've seen plenty from $250~$500 depending on mileage, just find a MKIV NA or SC owner that's doing a swap, they're usually happy just to get the NA engine out of their garage...