Formatting big hard drives meh </rant>

Dan McBoost

I don't roll stock whips.
Apr 17, 2005
Supratown NY
www.mcboost.com
I'm been just hanging around in the photo sections, but around is better than not.

With the new garage, expect to see a lot more of me. Supras are back on top of things to do (aside my home theater project).

Dan McBoost

Apr 17, 2005
Supratown NY
www.mcboost.com
My current mess in the Kitchen:

0_IMAGE_297.jpg

I moved out here since there was no room on my desk to turn the tower sideways because of the dual screens.

Dan McBoost

Apr 17, 2005
Supratown NY
www.mcboost.com
I hear ya. I currently have 2.9TB of room only ~10&#37; is free space, but this is because I am setting my photo/music/video HDs up for RAID. Once things are safe I need to expand further. I will be buying another case and 2 more TBs by the end of the year..

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
yeah, I built this box to run Source engine games. Using a Shuttle mobo(lol hella awesome) paralell drive connectivity(serial ATA was BRAND NEWWWW) and an AMD Barton Core processor.

Its rock fucking solid, But I have more music than 3 6 year oldish hardrives can hold.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
IwantMKIII;1195818 said:

I was just saying mine takes so long to format because I have it set up with 12x181gb hard drives, so the controller has to read data from all of the drives, then write the parity. It's a RAID 5 setup. If you're unfamiliar with it, it allows any one of the 12 drives to fail, and the system can still function while you replace the drive.

Dan McBoost

Apr 17, 2005
Supratown NY
www.mcboost.com
More upgrading..

Bought two more 1TB SATA drives tonight. Formatting now and SATA is much faster than my older 1TB EIDE drive.

annoyingrob, what are you using for RAID software? TIA

Dan McBoost

Apr 17, 2005
Supratown NY
www.mcboost.com
Lost one of those two new 1TB drives a couple weeks ago, WTF. 10 months old and rarely accessed (was a manual backup drive).

This happened 3 days after I lost the drive in my laptop.... serious WTF.

So I bought a 320GB drive for the laptop, and threw in 4GB of RAM. Installed everything and had blue screens of death about every 15 mins. I searched a bit for the error, found people talking about hard drive issues (ITS NEW!).. Found one post about the internal battery and it may be going bad, so I took it out and left it out. Been fine ever since, haha.

Now I need to buy more drives for the tower. Oh the frustration..