Forged pistons on a swapped GTE block on GE internals thoughts?

toyota.s

Nov 2, 2022
So I have a 87 Supra GE auto. My GE block is cracked. My machinist sold me a GTE block that he had in stock. My pistons are bad and he cannot find factory GE pistons around. He gave me 2 options. I could go with DnJ pistons which he doesn't like anymore due to current DnJ quality. Or I can go with forged pistons I believe from Arias. He had called the company and they have a set of forged pistons literally for a 7M-GE. He tells its over kill for a stock application with no power adders and I definitely don't need them. My machinist even reached out to Japan to the oem piston manufacturer and they have been discontinued for 6 years. He is also running out of ideas himself. My block will have to be bored he says and I have looked on multiple website for other brand pistons. I found a set on rockauto from ITM pistons but all they have is standard. Even thought about getting cressida pistons as well.

Any thoughts or reasons?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Make sure of 2 things: he blocks off the piston cooling nozzle ports on that GTE block, recommend that the idler pulley bolt be installed at proper torque when boring out the block.
If you've found Toyota Cressida pistons that are the proper o/s, I should think that there would be no difference. Forged pistons may be overkill, but as long as your bore to piston clearance isn't too large, the only thing you'll notice is a happy engine.

Reactions: toyota.s

toyota.s

Nov 2, 2022
Make sure of 2 things: he blocks off the piston cooling nozzle ports on that GTE block, recommend that the idler pulley bolt be installed at proper torque when boring out the block.
If you've found Toyota Cressida pistons that are the proper o/s, I should think that there would be no difference. Forged pistons may be overkill, but as long as your bore to piston clearance isn't too large, the only thing you'll notice is a happy engine.
Yes. My machinist has blocked off the oil squirters and every bolt will be torqued.