Ford Taurus 2spd Fan with Spal Fan Controller(Ver. 3)

sai_supra1jz

Eat. Sleep. Boost.
Sep 12, 2008
CenCal, Ca
I'm gonna be using the popular Ford Taurus/Lincoln Mark electric fan on my 1jz. It has a 2 speed setting(low and high). The low speed seems to flow really well already and the high speed is just out of this world. It has been said to blow over 4000 cfm on high. The problem is, this fan draws some serious amps to run and and the current draw is high as well. So with that I looked into and bought a Spal Fan Controller(the newest version). The controller will help out tremendously with amp draw from the fan as it will control fan power, but I have done some research and have read from people's experiences that the Spal controller had failed on them using it with the Taurus fan. The fan controller is only rated to be able to trigger fans up to 30 amps or so. So with that said, I decided to just use the low speed, which is a little less draw on energy. Would this work for me? Has anybody experienced with it? I just wanted to know if anyone has used this combo together? How has it worked? Any input would be the shits. Thanks.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Just have the controller command the fans on high using a relay.
Controller powers the relay on that powers the fans on. No massive amperage draw to the controller and you get high speed. Make sense?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
That's cool Learn what you can about relays. They're pretty handy and can do all kinds of cool things without running heavy gauge wiring all over the car.

sai_supra1jz

Eat. Sleep. Boost.
Sep 12, 2008
CenCal, Ca
Sweet. I also ordered a Spal 195 degree fan relay harness kit for the fan, so I can just inter-wire these up? Anybody know how I will do the wiring this way?

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
hey did u end up getting the controller? by accidence i bought the temperature sender for that kit instead of a set temperature switch. so im interested in this controller now.