ford oil supplement

bluezone

Jul 15, 2008
ont.
Ive been to the local ford dealer and they do not seem to know what i am looking for.
in other posts in this section there is made reference to an additive for manual transmissions syncros.
why do i need it. the wrong oil was used in my transmission. now need help. 5th to 4th now sucks. anyone have the part number or proper name for this stuff.

thanks bluezone

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I'm afraid you are confusing and LSD with a tranny, or you skimmed over the threads you referenced and the correct info didn't sink in. The Ford gear oil (75W-90) can be used in a tranny, but is not the best choice for that application. In any and every case, you do not want to use a friction modifier additive or a gear oil that has the additive already in it (like Royal Purple) in any Supra manual tranny...period. The best gear oil for manual trannys is Red Line MT-90 IMO.

The Ford gear oil is excellent for an LSD that's got a fair amount of mileage on it. In the case of an LSD, you do want to use the Ford friction modifier additive (start with 1 oz).

I'm not sure why your Ford dealer didn't know what you were talking about. Perhaps you were asking about a tranny additive when one does not exist and projected your confusion to the parts guy ;)

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Ford motorcraft in my LSD works wonders. Mt 90 in trans ftw.

My moms nissan truck shifts like butter now. My supra need to change it again but it's great stuff

bluezone

Jul 15, 2008
ont.
jdub;1322146 said:
I'm afraid you are confusing and LSD with a tranny, or you skimmed over the threads you referenced and the correct info didn't sink in. The Ford gear oil (75W-90) can be used in a tranny, but is not the best choice for that application. In any and every case, you do not want to use a friction modifier additive or a gear oil that has the additive already in it (like Royal Purple) in any Supra manual tranny...period. The best gear oil for manual trannys is Red Line MT-90 IMO.

The Ford gear oil is excellent for an LSD that's got a fair amount of mileage on it. In the case of an LSD, you do want to use the Ford friction modifier additive (start with 1 oz).

I'm not sure why your Ford dealer didn't know what you were talking about. Perhaps you were asking about a tranny additive when one does not exist and projected your confusion to the parts guy ;)

sorry jdub, no. always like your posts by the way. dont want or need a friction modifier. if it will help, i will post links to other posts in this section that refer to additive avaliable at ford dealers. this goop as it is described in the posts is to help snycos in the transmission. not for LSD's.
now the problem was no real name or part number was supplied in the posts.
already use the Ford friction modifer in my LSD(part number supplied in posts).
thanks for trying.
bluezone.

heres a quote of what i'm talking about.
jdub said:
''Big danger is some additives will glaze the Syncro surface and is very hard to remove/rectify. While affected it's taking the sharp edges off the inner taper of the Brass rings which are what grip the gear to accel/decell everything. Ford makes an additive that will help in their Motorcraft range.''

Last edited:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
bluezone;1322546 said:
heres a quote of what i'm talking about.

jdub said:

''Big danger is some additives will glaze the Syncro surface and is very hard to remove/rectify. While affected it's taking the sharp edges off the inner taper of the Brass rings which are what grip the gear to accel/decell everything. Ford makes an additive that will help in their Motorcraft range.''

I never said that sport...at least not that way and with that meaning. And, there's not a post in this section similar that I didn't correct. By all means please provide a link to the post.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
IJ.;618373 said:
Big danger is some additives will glaze the Syncro surface and is very hard to remove/rectify. While affected it's taking the sharp edges off the inner taper of the Brass rings which are what grip the gear to accel/decell everything. Ford makes an additive that will help in their Motorcraft range.

That quote was made by IJ, not me. And, I'm pretty sure he was referring to the Ford LSD additive. There is not Ford additive for manual trannys that I am aware of.

What you need to do is use the correct gear oil in your tranny. Like I said, Red Line MT-90 is an outstanding choice.

bluezone

Jul 15, 2008
ont.
thank you to all. my mistake on the attributation of the quote to jdub. its useful to know that the mentioned quote is incorrect.

thanks bluezone