ford 75w90+modifier

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
I paid $65 at my local Ford dealer for 3qts with modifier and it was 75w140 because apparently they are the same thing according to the parts dep guy.

Does anyone know of a way to get this cheaper?

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Anyone? Is it just me that paid $65 or is this how this sort of thing goes?

I haven't opened the bottles yet.

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Also this is from a thread on the next page thats too old to reply to.
jdub;1322146 said:
The Ford gear oil is excellent for an LSD that's got a fair amount of mileage on it. In the case of an LSD, you do want to use the Ford friction modifier additive (start with 1 oz).

I've always wondered how do you know when you've added enough friction modifier? I remember hearing you have someone turn a rear wheel while the cars in the air while you try to hold the other in place and then depending on how hard it is determines how much more you need to add?

If this isn't, what's the most accurate way of knowing the amount of additive you need?

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Get Plain Jane 75-90.

Walmart, PepBoys.

Penzoil Gear Plus or Supertech Cheep.

from what i remember you add half; drive around, and add more in drops as needed. ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The motocraft stuff is pretty good, and yeah, you got ripped LOL

You keep adding modifier until the chattering goes away when you turn. Me? I'm an lazy ass and put the whole bottle in :rofl:

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Poodles;1441816 said:
The motocraft stuff is pretty good, and yeah, you got ripped LOL

You keep adding modifier until the chattering goes away when you turn. Me? I'm an lazy ass and put the whole bottle in :rofl:

Okay cause I did that before with a 4oz modifier because I didn't know any better but is there any reverse effects of putting too much in?

I was after the ford oil because Jdub says its better for high mileage lsd's and mine has 180k on it so I figure I have to baby it with the right stuff.

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Zumtizzle;1441829 said:
One wheel burnouts?

Yeah and this is why I ask how to do this accurately because I felt my rears were slipping wayyy too easily. When I was racing a 03 mustang gt a day after I changed my lsd fluid I dropped the clutch at 3k and I spun all the way through 1st and I only have exhaust and intake.

I still beat the stang tho :biglaugh:

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Poodles;1441963 said:
Depends, did both tires spin or one? If both, even a spool wouldn't help you :rofl:

Both tires for sure, it just felt they were spinning more than usual.

I'm gonna drain it all out and start over once I figure out what I'm gonna do about the initial situation.

Zumtizz, jdub recommended ford oil because my lsd has such high miles(180K).
Was there a way to order the oil cheap just like the additive. I didn't see a checkout or anything like that on the link that had the 3 or 4 types of 75w90 oil.

This one: http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/category.asp?select=[Transaxle%20Fluid]

They have 3 types of 75w90

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I'm using the XL-3 stuff and if I remember it was 8 bucks at least at my local dealer.

I used about two capfuls if I remember right, just about a 1/4 of the 4 oz bottle and I love my LSD. Not sure if it performs close to as well as a new one, but its a night and day difference between my open diff. :)

Bri7man

Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Alright. I'm still curious why jdub recommends the ford oil over all others for high mileage lsd's tho.