ForcedTorque's 3E5 has Arrived!!!!!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I just got done with a test drive after adjusting my clutch. Jay, you can finally relax, I have found the need for a new boost gauge. The car is now stronger than the grey car ever was, but still lacks some of it's power. I now sincerely believe that it is due to tune. I have the NEO adding fuel at all times, because I still have no wideband yet. The boost controller is not maxed out either, but now I gotta start reading instructions on it.

I'm still not 100% confident in my clutch. I did smell a little bit of clutch on that run. I don't know if I have glazed it over, or created hot spots on the flywheel. Or maybe there was just a little residue to burn off from earlier runs since getting the timing right. I still haven't run it even to 5500rpm, and haven't even taken that to 4th gear.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
ForcedTorque;1123276 said:
I'm instantly in love with this car now, but it still has a list of little bugs.

I am in exactly the same position right now, and boy does it feel good :D

Congratulations!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
I NEED clutch HELP!

What can I get away with for my set up? I am thinking about an ACT disc and stock Pressure Plate. Will that hold 400hp? I dunno if I'm getting there, but I may do more once I get things 100% right. Right now, I just want it to run good for just a little while, maybe a year or so. I've promised to make it to cruise'n'the Coast next weekend in Mississippi, and I will make it. It's just not gonna be fun trying to keep up, if we do any spirited driving. I'm also gonna try to go to the meet in Central Alabama, but I may have to leave the car at home if I haven't fixed my clutch before then.

Right now, it seems to be getting worse. It was letting go at 4-5 pounds of boost, but now is affecting daily driving, unless I drive for maximum gas mileage.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
I went with a stock clutch and upgraded PP per Aaron at driftmotion. Of course im still under the 300HP mark but I have had no problems. He said his car is closer to the 400 mark if I remember right and he has done many hard launches with no problems out of his as well. He thinks the stock unit is a durable piece.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
mk3forme;1146930 said:
I went with a stock clutch and upgraded PP per Aaron at driftmotion. Of course im still under the 300HP mark but I have had no problems. He said his car is closer to the 400 mark if I remember right and he has done many hard launches with no problems out of his as well. He thinks the stock unit is a durable piece.

Two things to say about this.

1. When I posted that, I figured I'd have to go find a stock PP, because I thought I didn't have one. I just did some cleaning and found a stock set up I had forgotten about. So I do have a stock PP. During the XTD scam thread, it was said that the disc was good if used with a stock PP, so I dunno. I'm clutch illiterate.

2. In that set up, I had to pitch the disc, because it was coming apart at the center, but had real good life left on it if not.

Now, next question, will a stock disc work with a Centerforce Dual friction PP? It looked a bit different to me, so I kinda doubt it.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
The car made great strides this weekend, for the first time in a good while. I went to Birmingham for the speedforsale meet at the Steele track. I stayed at Jay's house, and got to meet his hillbilly mechanics that help him regularly. They did my clutch swap in a little over 2 hours. Here's a list of issues that they took care of for me.

1. Clutch - We went with an ACT 6-puck disc that Jay had, and my Centerforce pressure plate. It worked great for the 300 mile drive home. Thanks for the disc (Jay), and the labor (Ricky and Tim)!!!!!!!!!

2. Starter repair - After starting late Friday night with the new clutch, it wouldn't start Saturday morning due to the connector and wiring breaking out of the solenoid. I rode to the meet in Jay's car. Jay went went and dragged Tim out of bed, and he went back to work on my car. After taking the starter out and soldering the connector back in, it still didn't work, so he chased down a short in the ignition wiring to the relay.

3. Wiring Problems - While in the dash chasing the starter wiring, he also found two other wires melted together. He fixed those, but had no idea what they were.

4. Engine miss FINALLY diagnosed - Friday night, they found the miss in what they thought was my cylinder 5 injector. But Saturday while we were at the meet, they put a test light on the wiring, and found that it was only getting 4-5 volts. When we got back to Jay's house, and I was about to leave for home, they told me. I know it is my fault as I was a rookie with a soldering iron doing the plugs for the 550's. I will probably take care of that next weekend .

5. Speedometer brought back to life - I'm not sure if the problem was in the connection at the tranny, or if the cable just wasn't seated right into the gauge. They worked on both, so credit to Ricky and Tim again!

6. Dash lights restored - The lights just quit working for this trip! I'm guessing the 2 melted wires may have had something to do with that. I replaced the fuse in it this evening, and they work once again.

This is a pretty impressive list to me for an 18 hour period (not all working hours), and my bill for labor was almost like paying illegal Mexican labor. Jay has told me to get it up there to let those guys work on it, and they would figure out all of my problems. Why would I have ever have doubted it?

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
OMG YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies:

I am so excited and happy for you!!!!!!!!!

If only I had the cash to fly those guys down here to sort all my issues out!!!!!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'm glad the trip was a success for you Scott. Ricky and Tim may be crack heads, but they know their way around an engine............:biglaugh:

I hope the clutch continues to hold up for you. Hopefully it'll seat itself with your pressureplate and last a long time.

Kristel, I can't let Ricky and Tim come to you until you've came over here and stayed a while.........:icon_bigg

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
ForcedTorque;1164114 said:
This is a pretty impressive list to me for an 18 hour period (not all working hours), and my bill for labor was almost like paying illegal Mexican labor. Jay has told me to get it up there to let those guys work on it, and they would figure out all of my problems. Why would I have ever have doubted it?

Illegal mexican work FTW.

glad to hear your car is starting to feel better =)

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Excellent Scott!!!!! It must feel good to have gotten so much done in such a short period of time. I'm guessing all you need now is paint.

Too bad I don't have someone like that to come pull my engine, reseal it, and replace the headgasket.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
I know they slept for at least 9 of those hours too. We left Tim pulling the starter when we left at 8 sat morning. They were through with it when we came back at 4:30. So, that's 6 1/2 hours Saturday and 2 1/2 Friday night. Of the 6 1/2 hours, I don't know how much they worked on it. So it was all done in 9 hours or less.

gtsfirefighter;1164330 said:
Excellent Scott!!!!! It must feel good to have gotten so much done in such a short period of time. I'm guessing all you need now is paint.I gotta fix my injector wire, get it tuned, and get it painted. I'm sure there will be a few more hiccups, but I feel much better about the car now.

Too bad I don't have someone like that to come pull my engine, reseal it, and replace the headgasket.

Your car still drives OK. Get it the 400-500 miles to Jay's house. I promise if you spent the night there, you could drive home the next day, and it wouldn't cost you but a couple of crack rocks:biglaugh::biglaugh: They didn't seem to be anything but hillbilly to me though. They are really small guys who work well together at a fast pace. With Jay's constant changes, and Vonda's possessed car history, they have plenty of MKIII knowledge.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
ForcedTorque;1164340 said:
I know they slept for at least 9 of those hours too. We left Tim pulling the starter when we left at 8 sat morning. They were through with it when we came back at 4:30. So, that's 6 1/2 hours Saturday and 2 1/2 Friday night. Of the 6 1/2 hours, I don't know how much they worked on it. So it was all done in 9 hours or less.

Your car still drives OK. Get it the 400-500 miles to Jay's house. I promise if you spent the night there, you could drive home the next day, and it wouldn't cost you but a couple of crack rocks:biglaugh::biglaugh: They didn't seem to be anything but hillbilly to me though. They are really small guys who work well together at a fast pace. With Jay's constant changes, and Vonda's possessed car history, they have plenty of MKIII knowledge.

suprahero;1164387 said:
not to mention the steak dinner that I can guarantee. My wife is an excellent cook and easy to look at.

I haven't driven my car in over a week. I'm pretty sure the HG is on it's way out and would be to afraid to take off on a road trip like that. It slowly builds pressure in the coolant system and then forces it all out the reservior. It never sucks it back in either. It doesn't overheat (except the one time it ran out of coolant), smoke or run bad at all. I was hoping to start taking it apart this week but I've got back issues now and am fixing to go get an MRI done here in an hour, on top of a sore throat. OH whoa is me, piss and moan, piss and moan.

Jay I would love to make that drive just for the legendary service you and your wife provide to fellow supra owners. Someday!

Last edited:

MKIII VIXEN

Supramania Contributor
Feb 11, 2006
resting
suprahero;1164387 said:
not to mention the steak dinner that I can guarantee. My wife is an excellent cook and easy to look at.

Jay, Flattery will get you no-where.... Ok that's a lie, but it sounded good.;)

Scott, I'm glad you had a good trip, and it solved alot of car issues for you. Hopefully by the time you come back, your car will be track and show ready.

Ken, We would love it if you could make the next event. It's always fun getting to meet the folks, and see their cars. Side note: I hope all goes well with the MRI.

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
Scott - In talking with you at Steele meet Saturday, I could tell you were woried about two crack heads (Ricky and Tim) diddling on your red car all day. It's cool when stories like these turn out golden. Gotta love those shadetree mechanics. All the MKIII needs is some TLC, right?

At the rate I am paying my tuner, maybe I need to meet up with ole Ricky and Tim next time I need a hand.

When you get ready for paint, find out who painted Keylan's MKIV. I think it was his dad. Or maybe Ricky and Tim paint too, for cheap.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
bhmsupra;1164520 said:
Scott - In talking with you at Steele meet Saturday, I could tell you were woried about two crack heads (Ricky and Tim) diddling on your red car all day. It's cool when stories like these turn out golden. Gotta love those shadetree mechanics. All the MKIII needs is some TLC, right?

I was never worried about them. They showed their true metal Friday night. I was just slightly upset to have driven that far up there, and still had to ride to the meet instead of driving it there. i've never really driven my Supra to a meet, except for the cruising the coast in Missippi a couple of weeks ago. Jay calls em crakheads, but I think they are just good ole hillbillies.

At the rate I am paying my tuner, maybe I need to meet up with ole Ricky and Tim next time I need a hand.

I'd trust them to do anything to my car.

When you get ready for paint, find out who painted Keylan's MKIV. I think it was his dad. Or maybe Ricky and Tim paint too, for cheap.

This might really be a good idea!