Forced induction with 7m-ge distributor ignition

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
I've had an idea in my head today which I wont disclose just yet until I know I can make it happen but this question is relevant to my idea and making it become a reality.

Question 1: What reasons are there other than fuel maps for switching to a 7mgte harness and ecu when going NA->T?

Question 2: I know fuel maps are a huge part of the switch but will the NA electronics with a piggy back computer for fuel table adjustment work with forced induction?

Question 3: I know an aftermarket coil and wires are pretty much useless for an NA motor but will they help to properly burn with FI?

Question 4: What else does the 7mgte ignition and ECU feature differently other than electronically advanced ignition and multiple coils?

I think some of you know whats a brewin...

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
It's been done.....and 99% of all who done it quickly installed all gte gear! May not be such an issue if using maft pro but the ge electronics just suck!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I did this many many years ago, I set it up to run with a standalone though so I'd have full control.

Engine bay 57.jpg

Engine bay 64.jpg

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
Ok so with proper engine management theres no reason to go GTE electronics? I'll be using either a gm MAF or maybe a 4 bar MAP. Still need to do more research.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
All depends on what you consider "proper", DLI does have it's advantages and unless you're willing to fork out for a killer ignition system to run with the distributor it's going to fall on it's face once you get to xx boost as the energy required to light off the fuel/air charge at torque peak is very high.

Keep in mind I built that system 10 years ago, things have changed/improved and quality parts are far more accessible now.

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
IJ.;1541695 said:
All depends on what you consider "proper", DLI does have it's advantages and unless you're willing to fork out for a killer ignition system to run with the distributor it's going to fall on it's face once you get to xx boost as the energy required to light off the fuel/air charge at torque peak is very high.

Keep in mind I built that system 10 years ago, things have changed/improved and quality parts are far more accessible now.

Yeah I'm not talking about anything crazy probably 6-8lbs of boost.

stomis

NA Die Hard
Mar 22, 2010
Jersey Shore
IJ.;1541707 said:
I ran mine to 9psi and it behaved quite well using a single transformer coil and igniter.

I guess theres always the upgraded coil and wire route if its lacking since it will actually utilize the extra energy available.