For those who know bolts, what is M6??/is this what i need?

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
ok, i'm trying to do the valve cover bolt upgrade. i have found a great place to buy the bolts online because noplace(and i mean noplace) near me sells what i want. what i want is:

316 Stanless steel (not 3/16th stanless with a 10mm hex head and metric thread pitch as one hardware store thought:icon_roll )
10mm hex head
1mm pitch
6x30mm
fully threaded

these bolts are described here:
http://cjsupra.kendra.com/Hexupgr.html

the site i found sells bolts that are exactly what i want except that they dont have a meashurment for the diamiter of the bolt(like 6x30, they just say its 30mm long). here is what i am looking at on the website:

Head Style
Standard Hex

Material Type
Stainless Steel

Finish
Plain

Grade/Class
Not Rated

Stainless Steel Type
316 Stainless Steel

System of Measurement
Metric

Thread Size
M6

Metric Thread Pitch
1 mm

Length
30 mm

Head Width
10 mm

Head Height
4 mm

Thread Style
Right Handed

Thread Length
Fully Threaded

Thread Fit
Class 6g

Rockwell Hardness
Not Rated

Minimum Tensile Strength
101,500 psi

Specifications Met
Deutsche Industrie Normen (DIN)

DIN Specification
DIN 933

The ultimate question here is is this what i need for my valve covers? i can get another thread size i think(m4 and a bunch of others are available). and if someone could explain what M6 means that would be awsome.

thank you for reading. heres the link to the site i'm looking at, thy have alot of stuff:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
so just to be rediculosly clear that is a "yes Gus buy them because they are what you need"?

thanks for the quick reply

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
no they sell the allen capskrews but the reason i want the hex is because a 10mm hex is very common under the hood of our cars. and i have a nice set of nutdrivers laid out in my toolbox but my allen keys are shoved in a bag in no order whatsoever and it can be hard to find the right one:icon_bigg . unless you have a reason for thinking an allen would be better?

and bcg04, as far as i know there is not an Ace near me. i went through hell and high water(literally) trying to find these. most hardware stores have 320 staneless which is not as good as 316. one of the more knolegable people i talked to when i asked for 316 said "no, we dont carry anything that high quality". and acording to my father, a mechanical engineer who works with stanless steels alot as he does work with the navey, says that in fact 316 is a very good choice and superior to 320. thats why i'm going through all this trouble for some stupid bolts.

and yeah, we had some really bad T-storms today. in the middle of a downpoar i was on the highway in the sprinfield interchange(known as the mixing bowl) in rush hour traffic and the rain was so bad i could not see 30 feet infront of me. flash flood on the highway and all.

Racefiend

OH, YEAAHH!
Apr 6, 2005
Bay Area, CA
320? The normal choices for bolts are 304 and 316. It is true that 316 is more corrosion resistant than 304, however, unless you are going to be using your Supra as a boat, the difference is negligible. What you're worried about is the galvanic corrosion between the stanless and the aluminum. The aluminum being the anode will be what corrodes, not the stainless. 304 is actually slightly closer on the galvanic scale to aluminum than 316, so it would usually be a very slight advantage.

Given all of that, purchase whichever is cheaper/more readily available. You won't ever notice the difference.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Allen head is favorable to me because they look good. M6 take 10mm sockets, and as such, M6 allen heads only take one size key, so take the allen key that fits them and put it next to your nutdrivers and "common" tools. Problem solved.

Allen head capscrews look much much much nicer than hex heads of the same variety. Non-factory bolts just have that look to them that I don't like.

May be just my pickyness.

Last edited:

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
just to update for future referance i ordered the bolts from above from the above website. they are exactly what is needed, threaded in nice and no complaints whatsoever. i also got some stuff that makes your oil glow under a blacklight and after de-greasing the whole underside of the car i'm going on a leak hunt. i'll be able to see if the valve covers are still leaking(i dont think so) and will also see why my clutch is slipping(oil leak or trans leak?) and will see if teh FMS is bad (maybe). thanks everyone for the input.