For all the JDM 7MGTE owners...

Bullz_EyE

ToP DeaD CenTeR
Jan 26, 2006
San Diego, CA
So are JDM motors a direct swap? I would like to possibly invest in one in the future, as they seem to be cheaper with less miles than ones offered here.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Yes... direct swap. Unless you need emissions, you may also need to change stupid things like alt brackets, Motor mounts, and some other various items. I'd swap EVERYTHING off of the block (except the major stuff like the intake and what not) like the accessories just because it's a hell of a lot easier to change them out of the car than it is to change them in the car.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
the whole JDM motor craze is just that, though, a CRAZE. they're no better than the USDM models. you can usually find them with less mileage, that's all. you'd really be better off taking that $1000 and dumping it into your current GTE because at least then you know what you're working with.

the ONLY reason i got a JDM GTE is because i was formerly N/A, and i couldnt find a USDM GTE for the life of me.

and just for the record, the ONLY things i changed on my JDM motor when i put it in were: the steel fitting for the brake booster on the intake manifold (the jdm one faces the wrong way) and the motormounts because they were 89+ and my car's an 86.5 :)

everything else is JDM, yo~!

-shaeff

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
Jeff Lange said:
Stock 7M-GTE will put down about 200rwhp, and is rated at 230hp at the flywheel (232hp for 89+).
Ha! Over here, the 7MGTE is rated at 234.68 hp (175kW) and 238.7hp (178kW), respectively. GDM tyte yo!
Now who wants a GDM stock ECU for $500 shipped? Just drop me a PM :biglaugh:

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Stock 7M-GTE will put down about 200rwhp, and is rated at 230hp at the flywheel (232hp for 89+).

well the only reason that i wondered this was because there is a guy with a hatchback w/ a bunch of money dumped into it and ran the best of like a 16.2 (poop on it)...and he's one of those type of guys to just constantly run his mouth. Well, HE, said that if the STOCK 7mGTE is 23_ hp to the crank, he said that a rear wheel drive (like my so called, piece of shit supra) will only put down 165-170 to the wheels. That was the only reason why I wanted to know for sure. Thanks though. and supra90turbo, you told me to take it to a dyno...well I asked for the STOCK numbers. Thanks anways.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
I've got a JDM 88 GT Limited but it's got Fuel Cut Defender on it, so I've never hit it either way, and never run anywhere near 14psi / 1bar either. Never knew ECU was different with the JDM MKIII (now I know it isn't, which is what I thought lol), mine's full import digital dash leather everything pretty much as JDM as they come lol.

Last edited:

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
ive got what apears to be a JDM motor for my spare one. Came out of a healthy 88 (assumign it was swappedin or soemthing) which i hope has oil squirters. The whole motor is weird because its got a JDM TB and blockoff plates for the egr, and my brake booster faces the right way hmm..

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Erm - the emissions are different on JDM cars - like all european models, no N/A's came with Catalytic converters until the facelifts in '89, dunno if it was the same for Turbo's - here, we didnt get cats on turbos either, again, not until facelift. Although its still legal to remove them even if you have one.

Supra Dheez Nawtz

Sep 21, 2006
Jacksonville FL
The dif between the usdm and the jdm are as follows and are also pretty much covered in previous. The jdm doesnt have egr so its rated at 240hp at the crank and 257 ftlbs of tq the usdm is 232. Also some jdm engines have oil squirters and some dont ive seen both being i owned a shop for awhile and did alot of rod knock revivals. If u want more hp in your jdm 7m put u some jdm tyte v-tec cams in it'll be hella fast Yo! :D

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Stock USDM 7M-GTE...

p439477_1.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Jeff Lange said:

Give or take a dozen or so. And that is a good point anyway. RWHP is what you really have. Not what you read in a magazine printed 18 years ago.

The markets that come with out EGR, have different programming than the US model. It is in the tune. And it does not increase the power. The US market has a different tuning strategy so power is not lost when EGR is applied.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
my jdm 7m feels so much quicker but that's most likely because my old 7m had over 170k but in any case the car pulls much harder with the same mods also my jbm motor came from a 1990 model at lest that's what i was told, that being said i got a set of 89+ motor for sale PM me :)

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
Yes... direct swap. Unless you need emissions, you may also need to change stupid things like alt brackets, Motor mounts, and some other various items. I'd swap EVERYTHING off of the block (except the major stuff like the intake and what not) like the accessories just because it's a hell of a lot easier to change them out of the car than it is to change them in the car.
oil presure sending unit and throttle body are different as well... routing of coolant lines to the heater core is different, and a few misc. sensors

pretty much though... it is a direct swap

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
For the fuel cut question... I have 550/lex and reach fuel cut @ approx. 22 lbs. of boost on the stock CT...

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
MDCmotorsports said:
If you're not hitting f/c at 16psi...

A.)You're boost gauge is off
B.)You have a Fuel Cut Defenser hidden some where
C.)You magically have a group A MAF system
D.)Standalone system
E.) A BOOOOOOSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTT LEAK

boost leaks lower fuel cut, not raise it. hehehe:biglaugh: