Foot out of it, about 11mpg or less, wtf.

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
foot out of it, full tank of gas i only get 11mpg or less, only code is 71 becuase i have a california car and i removed the EGR, and yes it got the same mileage before i took it off, suggestions, thoughts, im sure some of it has to do with me warming it for 5-10minutes everytime when its cold but i need to fix this damn prob.

Mods- intake, full 3" catless exhaust, MBC at 10psi, auto, 2.5" hardpipes, HKS BOV, electric fan..........

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
tune up including a new o2 sensor. does that code put the ECU in "limp" mode? ( i dont think it would but im not sure ) you should find out. that could be your problem as well.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Wow, with those mods you should be getting pretty fantastic gas mileage.

Why do you feel the need to warm it up for so long?

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
check for ect codes. if there is one, that would explan the mpg. w/ a code, the ect will go into default shifting and will not lock the converter. w/o the converter locking, your mpg goes all to hell.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I get 18-20 mpg normally.. 24 or so on the highway.. pretty much same mods as you..

Make sure your o2 sensor is in good condition

(i think mine is going out.. on long highway cruises my check engine light comes on, not sure the code though as havn't checked it yet)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
AGlobalThreat said:
So it's BAD to let the car warm up before driving it?

It's bad. There are reasons the owner's manual says the car should be driven soon after starting. Putting aside the fact fuel and transportation efficiency are zero (the engine is running but you're not going anywhere) the longer the engine stays in warm up enrichment with cold oil the greater:

1) Emissions (read deposits).

2) Fuel dilution of the oil

3) Exhaust corrosion.

4) Engine wear rate. In fact it's greater at that time than any other, even WOT.

There's more but you get the idea. Take it easy until it warms up but don't let it sit idling. It's one of the worst things you could do to your engine. It doesn't help that even on a warm day a 7M with a stock cooling system can idle for hours after a cold start without opening the thermostat.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
whats worse is people that as soon as the car is started they rev the piss out of it.

i let mine idle for a bit before driving tho. not just sit there til it reaches full temp or anything, but i usually wait a couple min til the temp gauge hits 140 or so.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I thought your never suppose to just start the car(any car) and go driving. It should be at least warmed up some what before driving. I dont know about sitting still until the temp gauge is at normal driving temps. A few minutes idle has always been what I do. Never start and instantly go drive off...

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
The only time I let my car sit before driving t is when I want it to not be -100 inside when I get in.

Other than that, Plug in ipod, choose song. and drive.

BTW, there is a difference between "warming up" and "I let my car sit for 6 minutes before I get in and drive".

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
all you need to do is wait for full oil pressure...

not saying rag the piss out of it right after startup, but driving normaly (and I don't mean normaly as a supra owner)

I'll let it warm up only if it's freezing or hot as hell outside (get the heat or A/C going), other than that, it's start up and drive...

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
jetjock said:
It's bad. There are reasons the owner's manual says the car should be driven soon after starting.

Yup, owners manual says, and I quote, "After the engine warms up for about 10 seconds, you are ready to drive. Do not race a cold engine. If the weather is below freezing, let it warm up for a few minutes before driving. Do not leave the vehicle while the engine is warming up."

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
tissimo said:
I get 18-20 mpg normally.. 24 or so on the highway.. pretty much same mods as you..

Make sure your o2 sensor is in good condition

(i think mine is going out.. on long highway cruises my check engine light comes on, not sure the code though as havn't checked it yet)
jesus, i only get ~14mpg, and i'm N/A. what's wrong with my life