Foglights

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
Hey everyone.

Anyone know how to rewire the foglights so I can just turn the foglights whevever. I need it for a 1987 Toyota Supra NA.

Thanks guys.
Chris.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Because it's the correct way to do it instead of jimmy rigging it.
Instead of trying to make him look ignorant. LoL, or under anesthesia. Why don't YOU just explain it.
You're going to anyway.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Jet I believe the spark across the switch is much smaller when switching ground than when you switch the power. Now if you use a relay that's a different story since the coil is low voltage. I could be wrong so lets here it from the electronics engineers.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
supramacist said:
Instead of trying to make him look ignorant. LoL, or under anesthesia. Why don't YOU just explain it. You're going to anyway.

Nope, I'm not going to explain it even if he is mistaken and I'm not trying to make him look ignorant. Since the Geezer lifted himself out of a self induced stupor concerning oil he's earned a measure of respect. You on the other hand....;)

Qnzfinestplaya

Supra Heaven
Nov 4, 2006
Queens Ny
is it bad that i wired its own relay and ran the source off the parking light so it turns on when i put on my park lights? i dont use the switch, its dead now, once my park lights are on, my fogs are on

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I read that post on supras.com when I wanted to rewire mine, and really didn't like the idea of taped off wires and wrapping a lead on a fuse leg. Instead, I rewired the fog lights and switch with a new fuse and a relay. I can turn them on and off whenever I want, independent of any other lights. I'm no electrical expert, but I do know how to solder and heat shrink my connections, and don't see a need to put any more load on a fused circuit than the factory already did.

astigracing

Feb 5, 2006
cALIFORNIA
www.astigracing.com
here's how i did mine two years ago.

1) Remove screw underneath switch panel. Pull switch panel away from dash to reveal the fog light switch and defroster switch and whatnot.

2) Cut White WITH Black stripe wire on the DEFROSTER switch...leaving enough room on both sides to strip it to put back together.

3) Cut Red WITH Green Stripe wire on back of FOG LIGHT switch. Leave Enough slack from switch to strip and splice. Tape off the other end going into the dash.

4) Splice together the red WITH green stripe wire coming from FOG LIGHT switch AND the TWO ends of the white WITH black stripe that you cut on the defroster switch. This creates a seperate ground for the Fog light switch.

5) Tape up splice and put switch panel back into the dash.

6) Pull left kick panel and lower steering column (the part with the air vent) off.

7) Locate the Fog Light Relay. Located to the left of the junction box above and its facing towards the engine. Its kinda in no mans land. (Use TSRM and/or EWD to help locate it.)

8) Pull the connector off the back of it. Locate the Red WITH black stripe wire. Give the wire as much slack as possible off the connector and cut it.

9) Tape off the wire going into the dash and strip the wire coming from the connector.

10) If neccessary add an extension wire so that the red WITH black stripe wire reaches the Junction block by the fuse area. Or to at least about 3 inches from it as the inline fuse will make up for that with that wire.

11) Put the fuses in the inline fuse and attach the wire coming off it to the red WITH black stripe wire coming from the relay connector.

12) Choose a constant 12v fuse to place the Inline fuse. I chose the Cig Lighter fuse because i never use it and i have other things coming off my IGN fuse. You can use the IGN fuse if you would like. As long as its a constant 12v when the keys in the on position. Not sure? Use a test light or voltmeter to find out.

13) Plug Inline fuse into chosen fuse location.

14) Test your work. You should now be able to turn JUST yuor fog lights on without anything else being on. Key in the on position and you have your fog lights at your mercy

15) Replace panels and enjoy your new fog light rewire.

NOTE: An inline fuse IS NOT neccessary. Its just the best way to do it. You always have the option of wrapping the wire around the fuse leg but the inline fuse is much better and cleaner.