foglight air duct. who has one?

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
can anyone post pics of their foglight air duct. i know there was a thread a while back on a group buy for a cf foglight air duct.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
If you're turbocharged, what's the point of an air duct? A CAI would be moot on a turbo car as the air is compressed, thus heating it up quite a bit. The IC is the cooling part of the intake system...

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
but if your starting off with 10 degree cooler air, its still 10 degrees cooler coming out of the turbocharger.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
I will be making one to route all the air coming into the foglight window to my oil cooler. As for the other foglight I will use that to route the air to my air filter.

Cheers,
Roy

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
starscream5000 said:
Has there been any recorded gains of a CAI setup on an intercooled turbo car, I'm just curious here.

This is not a Supra, but here is a link to a thread on my Volvo forum... Keep in mind that this is not a FULL CAI setup, rather just a small supplement to a stock airbox:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=63242

It seems logical that we would want to be getting the coldest air possible in the intake.

As a side note, in the Volvo S60R's, running an open filter under the hood is a horrible thing to do - the increased flow is all HOT air, and dyno tests have showed a loss of power...

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
tte said:
I will be making one to route all the air coming into the foglight window to my oil cooler. As for the other foglight I will use that to route the air to my air filter.

Cheers,
Roy

So you are getting rid of both fog lights? Guys, I don't really drive the car that much, let alone at night. Are the fog lights very useful anyways? I've been thinking that the fog light area has been begging for a proper oil cooler for some time now ;).

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
starscream5000 said:
So you are getting rid of both fog lights? Guys, I don't really drive the car that much, let alone at night. Are the fog lights very useful anyways? I've been thinking that the fog light area has been begging for a proper oil cooler for some time now ;).
Just city driving with fogs is ok, so don't have to open the real lights. In the dark, the flip-up lights are the only way to go anyways...

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
They help a lot (get this) when its super foggy out. They are way low down so you can actually see the road surface instead of just a white wall with just headlight.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
you would have to be going fairly quick for it to be effective wouldn't you? And the turbo is taking in wayyy more air then the duct could satisfy. Im sure there is a difference but i can't see it being much at all. Unless its generally just going to move warmer air out of the engine bay.

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
I would also like to know if theres been a study on a turbo car about the relationship between the temp of the air going in and coming out. If 10 degrees cooler air going in means 10 degrees cooler coming out....is it a 1:1 or is it not proportional?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
It isn't necessarily going to be one to one. It could be a greater difference than that. I don't have any way of finding out, but I know that if air is cooler, then the intercooler may actually be able to cool it more. If the air is real hot then the intercooler may not be as effective.............:dunno: