FM doesn't work..

Warpath

Help me Jeebus!!
Oct 28, 2008
St.Louis
Hello All,

I have a 92 turbo with the stock cd/tape player in my car. When i bought the car and was driving it home i noticed only the AM stations worked and all i got out of the FM stations was static.

Alittle history on the car. It was owned by a woman in her 50's and she had an aftermarket hands free cell phone device installed. Now, this thing must have been the first hands free device ever made cause it had a microphone clipped up by the visor and the system some how tied into the radio & antenna.

For you radio Guru's out there can you please help a brother out and point me in the right direction to start looking? Or should i use the stock radio for a boat anchor? In all seriousness i would like to keep it.

Thanks,
Jim

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
have your tried yanking all that phone crap out? then checking all connections making sure nothings hacked or shorting somewhere

Warpath

Help me Jeebus!!
Oct 28, 2008
St.Louis
Mk3runner;1471818 said:
have your tried yanking all that phone crap out? then checking all connections making sure nothings hacked or shorting somewhere

First off, Thank you for the reply!

I pulled the radio out and found this red wire taped up:
p1471872_1.jpg

It looks like it may go into the back of the radio plug. Since to me, the top of the red wire appears to have a broken pin:
p1471872_2.jpg

But im not real sure where it goes. Sorry for the crappy phone pic.

Thanks,
Jim

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
cant really tell what I'm looking at for that wire. probably where it was tapped into to get power to the phone device.. it should be easy to tell whats factory and whats not. remove what doesnt belong and go from there.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
GrimJack;1475966 said:
The installer likely stole the antenna wiring for the cell phone kit. Find where the cell phone kit plugs into the antenna wiring, and plug it back into the head unit.

+1

The antenna wire should plug directly into the back of the head unit. If there is a black coax wire plugged into the head unit already then unplug it and follow it to see if it's coming from another box (it should go all the way back to the antenna without any extra boxes).

AM stations can still come in without the antenna but FM pretty much requires the antenna to be plugged in.

Another thing to check would be if the antenna mast is actually going up when you turn the radio on. If it stays down then you'll barely get any reception.