flywheel balance?

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
ok.. so in a nutshell i rebuilt an engine

cylinders honed, new rings, rod and main bearings, all new seals.. yada yada yada

i also sent the flywheel out for resurfacing and a moderate lightening.. now that the engine is back together i have a vibration when free revving around 3k rpms ... dont really notice it too much when in gear and driving... but thats besides the point...

i called the machine shop to ask if they balanced the flywheel after lightening it... they said they did not... and that it is supposed to be done with the engine assembled and the flywheel bolted up.. in essence balancing the whole engine ....

my question is

are the flywheels on these engines a zero balance flywheel, meaning is the flywheel supposed to be balanced independently? or as a whole, attached to the block?

its kinda pisses me off that i spent so much money there to have this vibration... i imagine it cant be good for the crank or the main bearings..

any light on the subject would be appreciated..

thanks mike

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
damn that sucks

thanks for the speedy reply..

so i wanna be mad at him... but i think i should have done my research better and told him.... FUCK...

anyway... will not balancing it become an issue as far as premature wear on various engine parts??

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I remember taking my flywheel to the shop to have it resurfaced and balanced. I think they needed it to balance the whole assembly also, crank and such. IJ help me out here, my memory isn't as good as it used to be :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I-6's have really good inherent balance so only in rare cases do you balance as an assembly, I always have the externals zero balanced this way if you change parts it's a non issue.

If the flywheel is out of balance it's going to hammer the mains in time.

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
yea i was afraid of that...

such a pain in the ass.... now i gotta pull the transmission out...

i was hoping that this rebuild would be the end of my problems.... haha, im sure your all loving that comment..

ok well live and learn i guess... god i love having a lift.... if i was working on my back, i would KILL the machinist,,, naa i wouldnt kill him... probably just severely injure... maybe even strap him to the engine and vibrate the shit out of him... haha

anyway.. i appreciate the help
rest assured, i will offer my help whenever i can...

mike

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
supraduper;1360681 said:

i was hoping that this rebuild would be the end of my problems.... haha, im sure your all loving that comment..

ok well live and learn i guess... god i love having a lift.... if i was working on my back, i would KILL the machinist,,, naa i wouldnt kill him... probably just severely injure... maybe even strap him to the engine and vibrate the shit out of him... haha

mike

It's just the start ;)

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
supraduper;1360681 said:

mike
Shutup, you have a lift, I was feeling sorry for you, piece of cake if you have a tranny jack. :)

Samething if you have the harmonic balancer go bad, it will probably hammer the front mains, out of balance flywheel will probably take care of the rear mains.

BTW, new clutch? or old one?

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
new clutch, for sure...

im not one for doing shit half assed lol... i wanted it done right the first time... so i wouldnt have to deal with this shit...

but i have to

Fret not. It is possible to balance it in the car. I've done it with American iron. Years after doing it on my '65 GTO and '70 Firebird, I read a Buick TSB which basically went through the same steps. Steps for the Supra should be as follows:

1. Take off the side covers on the bellhousing to get to the pressure plate bolts. I have a turbo which has side plates. If your NA has no access to the clutch with the transmission in place, you might as well pull the trans, get the clutch and flywheel off and have them balanced as an assembly.

2. Remove one clutch bolt. Put a nut on it and reinstall it.

3. Run the engine in neutral and make a judgement regarding vibration, worse or better.

4. Remove the bolt, take the nut off, and move it to the next bolt. Run the engine again.

5. Keep doing this until you find a maximum or minimum in vibration. If you find a minimum, add washers under the bolt in varying numbers until the vibration is gone or minimized.

6. If you find a maximum, move 180 degrees from that bolt position and do step 5 above.

Hope this helps.

BernieK

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
thats a good procedure berniek.. i was honetly thinking of ways i could "just get by" without removing anything..

seems like it would work, however i do not have an access point to get the clutch bolts, as i have a N/A... but maybe i could get in through the hole for the clutch fork... or whatever that thing is called that pushes the pressure plate...

i was also thinking.. i could remove the starter and, well using the same idea you had.. i would run a short bead with the welder on the engine side of the flywheel, do a test run and, well pretty much figure where the heavy side is...

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
yea your right, i will do it right... ive spent too much to fuck around... and like it was said, i have a lift and it shouldnt be that hard..

as far as lightening a cast flywheel, i know its kind of taboo... but i dont think it will be a problem... as im not ridge racer, lol

i think so long as i break it in slowly and allow the clutch and fly to wear into each other at a conservative pace, it will be fine... but surely i dont know for sure.. however i do know that i didnt wanna spend the $4-500 for a legit flywheel..

i will keep you all posted.. so far i have 600miles on it and still smooth as....ummm... something thats really smooth???

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
is your implication that your legs are as smooth as my clutch engages?
thats fucked up lol

i dont know how i should react to that...

i guess i should ask if your waxing or shaving

haha

speaking of which i've gotta shave my asshole, fucken dingle-berries

HAHA

cutting the branches off the dingle tree, so to speak lol

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Nope my implication is one flywheel explosion at high rpm releases a SHITLOAD of energy and shrapnel shortly followed by you waving bye bye to your legs and possibly your bum grapes ;)

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
ahh good point... maybe i can find some lead to line my floor pan... with slight access points so the shards can convienently remove my "butt nuggets"

thanks i will take that under advisement.. didnt really consider that scenerio..

has that happened? or speculation?