Flying out to pick up my New (to me) Mark III

MKThiiis

Apr 27, 2015
New York
just over 100k miles

i have read about the need for a (HKS) head gasket and Bolts (with correct torq).

any other recommendations?

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
From the picture of your interior, it looks like the leather on your shift knob is shot. It's very minor surgery to remove it, and underneath is an elegant, smooth black vinyl knob. If enough of the leather is left to make a pattern, you can send it to Redline Goods for a new cover. Until then, the bare knob will improve the looks 1000% over the scraggly remains of the original cover. I've been driving with a bare shift knob for years.

Welcome!

MKThiiis

Apr 27, 2015
New York
@old Radar , Thanks! i am about to make a cup of coffee and look into doing just this.

Old Radar;2050319 said:
From the picture of your interior, it looks like the leather on your shift knob is shot. It's very minor surgery to remove it, and underneath is an elegant, smooth black vinyl knob. If enough of the leather is left to make a pattern, you can send it to Redline Goods for a new cover. Until then, the bare knob will improve the looks 1000% over the scraggly remains of the original cover. I've been driving with a bare shift knob for years.

Welcome!

Last edited:

MKThiiis

Apr 27, 2015
New York
@old radar thanks again!
the shift knob is looking much better.

question - what was the process to clean up your wheels?
they look great on your photo bucket page.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Wow, VERY clean looking car. Welcome! I'm impressed a car from New York is that clean and seemingly rust free. Kudos to you.

Lots of good info around here on all things MK3. The Head Gasket issue can be easily fixed, but you can't half ass it. If you go the HKS route, that means you *should* do a full engine tear down - if you don't machine the block very smooth it may not seal.

If you plan on keeping the motor stock then the job is a LOT easier and cheaper if you use the OEM gasket with ARP studs or bolts. My car is running proof the OEM head gasket is just fine for even basic upgraded 7Ms.

Search around here and check my signature for links to helpful info.

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
Suprapowaz!(2);2050321 said:
Old Radar, who recovered your center console lid? Did you get that done here in town?

I ordered the cover from Redline but did the work myself. Pre-stretching the cover over the lid and contact cement did the trick. I think it came out great.

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
MKThiiis;2050506 said:
@old radar thanks again!
the shift knob is looking much better.

question - what was the process to clean up your wheels?
they look great on your photo bucket page.

I took them out to Wheels America. They powder coated the vents black then machined the faces, then powder coated the whole rim in clear. The tech was a Supra fan so I got a nice deal, too!