Fluctuating Idle

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
Ok, I searched on SM but I couldn't find anything like my problem.

Whenever I start the Soup it rev's from 750 to 2500 rpm's, over and over. I wouldn't consider the car to be idling roughly but it's obviously not right.

If anyone could suggest a solution I would be in your debt forever. I had my timing checked so I don't think that's it but I can't find anything on TSRM.

Thanks!

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
If you have a multimeter then read out the TPS IAW the TSRM.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=101
Set it and leave it alone. Also manually open it while reading it and make sure it isn't intermittent. A bad signal from the TPS can run the idle up and down with your foot off the gas pedal while at idle. There is a switch inside the TPS that is set at idle so the ECU knows its there.
A large vacuum leak could also cause the idle to fluctuate so listen for a hissing sound.

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
f00g00 said:
If you have a multimeter then read out the TPS IAW the TSRM.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=101
Set it and leave it alone. Also manually open it while reading it and make sure it isn't intermittent. A bad signal from the TPS can run the idle up and down with your foot off the gas pedal while at idle. There is a switch inside the TPS that is set at idle so the ECU knows its there.
A large vacuum leak could also cause the idle to fluctuate so listen for a hissing sound.

Wow. thanks for the link.
I messed with the tps and used a multimeter and the sensor shows to be fine, however the Soup is still throwing code 41 [TPS].

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Code 41 for the NA says to troubleshoot on this page,
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=36
but did you pull the EFI fuse to reset the ECU? the code will still be stored till you reset it.
Use a feeler guage also when checking the IDL setting.
When my TPS crapped out there was an open circuit when just off idle between VTA and E2 iirc and it caused it to momentarily go into fuel cut and the car would lurch. Real pita in stop and go traffic.

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the help f00g00. I went through a bunch of crap but I found my problem: The wiring harness. Some how, during my rebuild, the harness got messed up and now there is no current going through the wires to the TPS.

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
have you done any work recently before this happened?
Try checking for an unmetered air leak (after the air flow meter). This happened to me before, my plastic canister in the air pipe melted do to exhaust temp and my ignorance removing the heat shields .

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
88YotaTurbo said:
have you done any work recently before this happened?
Try checking for an unmetered air leak (after the air flow meter). This happened to me before, my plastic canister in the air pipe melted do to exhaust temp and my ignorance removing the heat shields .

Well i just finished rebuilding the engine [and I took off a couple heat shields] but in the end my idle was messing up because of the TPS [the wiring was fine]. I fixed it and the car ran great for about 30min.

Then the car wouldn't start, so I had to give it gas to get it going. If I let off the gas the car dies. I've been playing with different possibilities but nothing is working.
Anyone have any suggestions?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
It idles ok when you first start it cold? If you've just done a rebuild it's easy to miss a vac line, a connection, or something simple I've done it several times and think I've really screwed up something to find a vac line not connected or the AFM harness not plugged in. Double check all your connections and check to see that your vac. lines are right.

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
Dragk913 said:
Ok, I searched on SM but I couldn't find anything like my problem.

Whenever I start the Soup it rev's from 750 to 2500 rpm's, over and over. I wouldn't consider the car to be idling roughly but it's obviously not right.

If anyone could suggest a solution I would be in your debt forever. I had my timing checked so I don't think that's it but I can't find anything on TSRM.

Thanks!
I had the same problem with my soup.i had to ajust the acceleration cable.which help alot.try that.

F_T_F

C2H5OH
Nov 12, 2006
fort fun, colorado
supraman508 said:
I had the same problem with my soup.
then go back to the store and exchange it for cambbells chunky.
as for the SUPRA spray starting fluid on the intake maniold to see if you hear the idle jump up. if so then its a vac leak and fix accordingly.

Last edited: