Fixing that hatch leak after just about all else has failed..

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
So, my old hatch from back when I acquired my car started to rust, and so I bought a new hatch seal and new tailight gaskets to keep water from rusting my spare tire-well out further too. Sadly, this did not fix the issue, and it continued. I realized that another area that water gets in through was where the rear side marker lights come into the body, so I fixed that too. Now that the tire well was more or less good, I was still getting water collecting in the plastic undertrim located on the bottom side of the hatch. I researched everywhere and found that the wiper motor, wing, and exterior molding at bottom of the hatch window were often the culprits, and I sealed those too.

Eventually, my hatch rusted completely out because none of those fixed the issue. So I bought a hatch from a '91 Turbo that had been wrecked, and I had the spoiler holes welded shut, did the fix to the lower molding, and I added the same Moonface R wiper plug that had been on my old hatch. For a while, the issue was solved, and this particular one seems to have had the hatch glass resealed, or maybe Toyota just did a better job? I have no idea. However, the leak started again, only this time it was both sides instead of just the passenger side.

Pretty much ready to just garage the car until the end of time, I researched again and finally a thread popped up from a forum in the U.K., and someone had posted an update on what they found the issue to be, and you know what? That glorious majestic fucking unicorn of an individual had done it. I had my brother pour a bucket of water all over that damn thing, and there was nothing until he kept at it, but then I saw drips, very slight mind you, yet they were coming from a place that did not seem obvious. So, I pulled the lower exterior molding off after just sealing it yesterday, and I broke/cut off the white clips that go under the hatch glass (not the black ones attached to the molding), and I found huge square holes where they mount, with no sealant or anything left, and slight slime/goo remnant under them from the water. At this point, I could care less for what their intended purpose was (to keep proper clearances while the hatch sealant dried when the hatch was being made? who knows.. someone might though.), and I just let the silicone flow as if there was no end, all with a smile.

You see, these clips are nearly impossible to see from the underneath side, and even more so trying to get at them, hence why I moved to just break them off. It simply never occurred to me that those could be the issue, especially since the dirt and grime that forms around them looks like black rtv (until you really scrape it away). Even if you sealed over them, the edge that protrudes under the glass is damn near, if not, impossible to seal without removing them.

You could say tl;dr, but I hope this saves at least one person the agony of doing all they can to seal their hatch, especially when it could be the difference between the car rusting out and not.

- Dylan

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
So... New trim and clips should do it, right? Not sure if I read that right, but I thought replacing the back lower trim and clips was critical.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
no, that's one part of the overall equation; notice that I said "(not the black ones attached to the molding)" above. It's still critical that you remove your molding and reseal it if it's still in good shape, or buy a new molding (which should come with the clips attached AFAIK).

the clips that I didn't ever think to replace or check are white and attached to the hatch itself, and they seem to support the glass in some fashion.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Dylan JZ;1865249 said:
no, that's one part of the overall equation; notice that I said "(not the black ones attached to the molding)" above. It's still critical that you remove your molding and reseal it if it's still in good shape, or buy a new molding (which should come with the clips attached AFAIK).

the clips that I didn't ever think to replace or check are white and attached to the hatch itself, and they seem to support the glass in some fashion.

Ah, ok gotcha. Good to know! I'll be fixing mine at some point... hopefully this winter. I'll make sure to watch for those clips as well. Thanks!

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Orion ZyGarian;1865285 said:
That sounds incredibly obnoxious! I'll have to remember that for the future. Was your car always a Florida car?

It was honestly the worst thing. Whenever there's an issue and you understand how to fix it, at least the unknown is removed.. in this case, there was this huge question looming for years.

the car was in Kentucky for most of it's life IIRC, and thankfully it was undercoated with a ton of 3M (or similar) product. that didn't save the spare tire well area though.

the '91 hatch that just started leaking before I sealed it was from a FL car however..

Another MkIII;1865287 said:
Can you still get the new moulding/clips from the dealer? I have a leak in the same area.
-AM3

the black clips come pre-installed into the molding when you buy it, and yes they are still available in that fashion through Toyota. As for the white clips that eluded me for so long, I'm not sure, but being that they are likely not in high demand, they are probably still available if you wanted to put them back. I'd silicone them regardless, even if they come with OE seals.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
I had the similar issue too. I found it very difficult to make my rear hatch leak proof even with silicone. I decided fk all and put a sponges around the tyre well to atleast reduce the rusting problem.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
So, if I understand this thread correctly, if you can't replace the clips (the white ones, which seem to be inside the hatch?), silicone the ever loving crap out of the area around them?

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
I had a similar issue I replaced the back hatch seal and the tail light gaskets but it still leaked. I came to find out that my tail lights were separating the red plastic from the black housing piece which was allowing water to get inside. I got some silicone and sealed up where they were separating and I haven't had a problem since.

I know this is a little bit different then what the OP was talking about but I figured might as well throw it in to help anyone who is having leaking issues.