fixing a HG, just trying to prevent one

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
ok my car has not blown a HG yet, but i want to make sure it doesn't...the car never gets hot(a bit above normal when ac is on, and parked on a hot day), and i never see any coolant in my oil, or oil in my coolant. i was wondering if i can replace the hg(cosmetic) and ARP studs without having the head/blocked resurfaced? i would clean off the old gasket and such, but since it has not over heated, would there be any warpage?

just trying to prevent a future hg when the car is a DD

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
steveyblack;912066 said:
ok my car has not blown a HG yet, but i want to make sure it doesn't...the car never gets hot(a bit above normal when ac is on, and parked on a hot day), and i never see any coolant in my oil, or oil in my coolant. i was wondering if i can replace the hg(cosmetic) and ARP studs without having the head/blocked resurfaced? i would clean off the old gasket and such, but since it has not over heated, would there be any warpage?

just trying to prevent a future hg when the car is a DD
Some have done it but I wouldn't take a chance, you don't want to be doing it again soon and worse if you get coolant in the oil. Be careful of that when you change out the HG.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Retorque the head if you already haven't. When, and if, you re-do the hg, at least lap the head surface, it won't cost much and you will have a lot more peace of mind. Well I don't know if you will, but if I was in your situation, I would get the head done and it would definitely make me feel better.

Like I said, it won't cost much to get the head done and if you ever have to take that mead off again it's going to be because the HG blew, likely because you didn't get it done right the first time, and of course, you now have to definitely get the head done.

Spending the extra money, is saving money.