Fitting Work Equip wheels with a big brake kit

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I'm looking at some Work Equip wheels in 17x8 +35 and 17x9 +35. These will fit just fine, except I'm worried it won't clear my big brake kit (4 piston kit from Arizona Performance). It would be easy as pie if I could see the wheels in person and just use arz's template to see if they will clear. I'm worried about the straight spokes having clearance issues with the calipers. Unfortunately I don't know anyone local with them to measure.

So...does anyone have these wheels? Even better...does anyone have these with a big brake kit?

A_2667.JPG

A_2667_01.JPG

I would appreciate the help! :1zhelp:

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
Seems like those wheels you are about to buy are from VRwheels.com. They are a excellent company to work with when it comes to rims and should be able to give you all the lengths,widths, and dimensions you need about the wheels. Sometimes they'll even state in the description if it clears BBK or not.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
OneJArpus;1629217 said:
i don't see why they won't work.
Good to know. What makes you think so? (Not trying to be sarcastic or anything, just curious :) )

joel903;1629323 said:
Seems like those wheels you are about to buy are from VRwheels.com. They are a excellent company to work with when it comes to rims and should be able to give you all the lengths,widths, and dimensions you need about the wheels. Sometimes they'll even state in the description if it clears BBK or not.

Have you bought wheels from them before? I was doing a little reading and people have mixed opinions on them, but they responded to my question very quick on eBay. I've seen what you are saying; some of their wheels do say "works with bbk" in the description. Unfortunately these don't state that, but I'm sure a lot of it depends on the particular brake setup too.

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
I never bought any rims from them, but i did have a rim repaired by them with a severe bent lip. Turned out great and rides smooth like normal.

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
its not wheel specific so much as DISK specific. if it's a HIGH disk wheel.

work uses letters, anything that is L, R, or T-Disk is made for BBK calipers.

anything that's A-Disk(standard disk) or O-Disk (deep dish aka Super-Low Disk) will NOT fit big calipers.

reason i say this is because when you get into the japanese or even the better USDM manufacturers they will have the same wheel available in different configurations of brake cearance.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
VR Wheels (aka RB wheels in the past) were fine back when I ordered my ADVANS.. they were a little pricey, but that's just retail.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Didn't we go over this in the wheel thread already? Like we said in there we can't really tell from just those pictures. But if you call the seller they should be able to tell you when they look at it.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
PureDrifter;1629412 said:
its not wheel specific so much as DISK specific. if it's a HIGH disk wheel.

work uses letters, anything that is L, R, or T-Disk is made for BBK calipers.

anything that's A-Disk(standard disk) or O-Disk (deep dish aka Super-Low Disk) will NOT fit big calipers.

reason i say this is because when you get into the japanese or even the better USDM manufacturers they will have the same wheel available in different configurations of brake cearance.

Great info! Work USA couldn't give me any dimensions on the equips since they have been discontinued since 2002. However, he did say both the 17x8 and 17x9 appear to be A-disk.

BorHor;1629969 said:
Didn't we go over this in the wheel thread already? Like we said in there we can't really tell from just those pictures. But if you call the seller they should be able to tell you when they look at it.

Yes, and thanks for your help in that thread. I know what to look for now. I thought I'd see if anyone else has direct experience with this size of equip since I haven't heard back from vrwheels yet. I'm sure not everyone closely follows the wheel fitment thread.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
There is a good chance that this 8"+35 will not clear bbk. By looking at the spoke design, those wheels might be mid disk. To fit bbk, with an 8"+35 you might need high disk.

Worse case, with this 8"+35 you could run a spacer to fit bbk. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk by purchasing this set. Besides, VR formerly RB is expensive for used wheels.

Last edited:

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
rodel;1630122 said:
There is a good chance that this 8"+35 will not clear bbk. By looking at the spoke design, those wheels might be mid disk. To fit bbk, with an 8"+35 you might need high disk.

Worse case, with this 8"+35 you could run a spacer to fit bbk. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk by purchasing this set. Besides, VR formerly RB is expensive for used wheels.

Thanks for the insight. I'm still going to try and contact VR Wheels, but I'll probably pass on this set. No sense in taking any chances on them not clearing the brakes. I'd love to get them cheaper, but I'm not really sure where else to buy them. 5 spoke Work Equips seem pretty hard to come by, and given my pretty strict offset/disk height needs it seems they will be even harder to find. I'll just keep my eye out.

As for running a spacer, would you recommend doing that if I plan to track my car?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I have those exact same wheels on my car and I have the upgraded calipers and rotars off of a gt500. It is a 13" rotar and it fits, but it fits by the slimest of slim margins. How much are they wanting for those wheels? I need four new center caps for mine and I can't find them anywhere.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
suprahero;1630601 said:
I have those exact same wheels on my car and I have the upgraded calipers and rotars off of a gt500. It is a 13" rotar and it fits, but it fits by the slimest of slim margins. How much are they wanting for those wheels? I need four new center caps for mine and I can't find them anywhere.

I never noticed that! You're not talking about a Mustang gt500 are you? Unfortunately it looks like these wheels sold yesterday. They were asking $1700 but sold for $1500 on eBay.

Could you do me a favor and snap a close-up picture of your brakes/wheel? It'd also be nice to know the distance between the hub mounting surface and the back of the spokes. I'd appreciate it!

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
suprahero;1630601 said:

they could be the same wheels in even the same width and offsets, but unless the wheel disc is the same it wont matter.

are yours A-Disk as well?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I will tell you the distance between the caliper and the back of the spoke is about the width of a playing card.........it's tight. I'll see if I can get a picture for you though.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Aren't you worried that the wheel would ever flex enough to contact the caliper? And I'm just curious what type of caliper you have. Is it from a mustang GT500? I'd like to compare it to the width of my wilwoods.