First time off the streets onto the track

davidgboyle

Aug 10, 2009
Guelph
So I usually like going to the back roads in the country around my place and just doing some pulls, but recently I haven't been able to keep the back end tied down for the first 2 gears so it's not fun anymore.

I figured there comes a time when you need the track, the safety, and some better competition than the civics around my place so I drove the car 2.5hrs to the track on Friday to see what she would do.

The Car is a 1986.5 MKIII with an Aristo 2JZ-GTE, tubular T4 manifold with a VRP 67 using a .70 A/R hotside. The exhaust is a 3" straight and a large front mount. I am running an OS Giken dual plate clutch and using a 4.3 diff (stock from 1986)

I was paranoid of breaking something so it took me a few runs to actually be comfortable with dumping the clutch at 4000, but when I did wow what a difference when you hookup on a track vs the street.

The secondary reason why I went was because my dads next door neighbor with a Classic Monte Carlo running a 350 with a 7psi blower and a big cam was bashing "imports". He was bugging my dad, who's running stock 7MGTE, and said he thought he would beat me.

After about 20 runs I was tired and ran mostly mustangs, G8, all the imports there and a couple of the old muscle cars. I ran my dads neighbor and it was the best time of the night.

So at 12psi on a T67 with 4.3 gears and a very poor driver I managed to run 13.5s 13.4s all night with a best of 13.357.

The slip below is my best run against the Monte Carlo what do you guys think?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I have an AEM F/IC and will be putting in 550s and running 20psi before Sept 12th when I am running the Monte Carlo again. The Monte Carlo will have slicks, be running 14psi, and using longer rear end gears.

Another note is that towards the end of the night when it got cooler I was running a 12.1 A/f read off of my AEM Uego.

I also see that my 60ft was terrible but if I launch below 3500 I bog and then make boost at 4500 in first and if I launch above 3500 or 4000 I spin and then have to build boost. The top end is really powerful though in 3rd and 4th I pull on everything I run against.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Those are good times...
With more time at the track practicing, you'll find your times dropping. Also, after that turbo gets more fuel support, and the engine, more tuning, you may realize better trap speeds. Getting quicker reaction time (R/T) and 60' times are important goals. What are you using for rubber? What suspension set-up do you have? Those are also useful in improving hook-up, R/T and 60' time. Have fun! Van

davidgboyle

Aug 10, 2009
Guelph
Thanks for the encouragement I was really disappointed with the times. I had a lot of fun and know I need better rubber. I am running 5yr old Michelin Pilot Sports on stock sawblades 225s. I also have H&R lowering spring and Canadian tire shocks. I have been so busy making the car go that I haven't done any brakes tires or suspension. I have ordered 580cc injectors and just got my AEM F/IC wired up last night so I will be running 20psi and clamping my MAP signal at 4.75v and tuning above 14psi using the F/IC and my wideband.

davidgboyle

Aug 10, 2009
Guelph
I would really appreciate some help in figuring out where my problems are and why I am doing so poorly.

- I will be purchasing new tires (I know I need them). I have kept the stock size tires to make sure my wheel size is not too big which can lead to excessive -ve camber.

- I have tried to adjust the rear camber to almost stock

- I need new shocks that are stiffer so that the loading will go to the tires.

- I need to slip my clutch rather than dumping it and spinning.

- My rear trailing/traction arms are stock although okay although I get severe wheel hop on hard shifts between 1st and 2nd.

- I am only running 12psi on a large turbo. If I run 14 to 18 I will be in the efficiency range and making closer to 450rwhp.

- I am running a 4.3 rear diff which is as short as I can go

I am wondering if its just experience? I am really not sure how guys are running 12s on stock turbos? The only thing I can think of is that they have better 60ft times because they don't have the lag that I do with a big single.

I have read through most of the other threads regarding what I need to do so at this point in time unless there is something additional anyone can recommend I guess I have a lot of work to do and money to spend.

Thanks for any input

Dave

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
You need slicks if you're spending alot of time on dragstrips. Slicks will drop 60 foot times below 2. 26x10.5x16 mt et streets will fit on stock sawblade. Replace your bushing with urethane to eliminate wheel hops. Keep the 4.3 LSD.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
The 4.30 will be fine untill you see over 116-118mph traps with the stock red line, 4.30s and a 26" tall tire.
For a blown 350 bashing imports, that monte is damn slow and his 60' is horrid.

Grab some slicks and skinnies, or some drag radials, put some good gas in and raise the boost.