First Time Drag FAIL at Sac Raceway. NEED ASSISTANCE

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Here's some vids of a couple weeks ago- they might help you understand what I'm writing here.
My setup is a little more involved than yours, but the basics still apply. I'm running 26x10.5x15 ET street bias ply tires and was launching at 4000rpm- slipping my spec 3+ until I felt good traction. I could have been more aggressive with the burnouts and therefore the clutching, but I improved throughout the day- starting at 2.3 60' and ended up with some low 1.8's. Not too great, but improvment can be done!

This one is a 12.1 with a 1.9 60', you'll hear the 2-step :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOxvH-aEBHQ

And this could have been a really good run, but 2nd gear was just too tired after that day. :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_0SSWcIaQg

Just for comparison, my best run if the weekend was 11.8 @ 118 1.81 60', but I also did a couple run on street tires just to see the difference- I ran a 13.9 @119 with a 2.8 60'. Really shows the difference that really good tires can make! I got my tires and rims used off of craigslist from a Mustang guy, all you need to find are a set of 15x8 drag rims with a 5.5" backspacing and a 5x4.5 bolt pattern

Cliffs-
More aggressive launches (more burnout may be needed)
2-step is FTW! (boost off the line, also helps with consistant launch RPM's)
Perhaps lightening the car? pull seats out and install lighter seat for you/pull spare/etc

I hope this helps you at least a little bit!

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I was running stock suspension other than springs.. With the M/T drag radials 26x11.5x16 I went up to the burn out box, put the trans in L started to spin them and bounced off rev limited a few times, shifted into 2nd and walked forward a little and it began to poor smoke! I staged and waited for the light to turn green, on the 3rd yellow I gave it WOT, I was left foot hard on the brakes and my right hand was holding the e brake as hard as I could. At about 3500 rpm on the stall I was at 8 lbs of boost. I let off the brakes and let the e brake go and it launched so hard I let off because I thought I broke something (first time launching on hot drag radials) I got back on it and finished the run with a 1.8 60ft. The next run I did the same thin but stayed mashed on the gas and yielded a 1.6 60ft. This is a full weight 88 auto targa with everything but the spare tire. Saw blades on the front and mustang rims on the back. All wih about 300whp

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Haha its all good, I've seen 1.4 60ft's with manual cars.. Just takes time to get it down, I was cutting 2.2 60ft's till I got good tires and a stall converter.. Practice makes perfect, I've made over 100 passes in my car, and still working on it :)

But I do :love: my auto :D

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Thanks, I'd still be in the 13's If it wasn't for all the work and time I've put into a properly setup trans.. I have not run it yet on my newest valve body, it's a lot better than the one I was running when I made my 12.7 pass. Should have the car done by the time summer is over! It's so hot I hate to push my car hard at the drag strip!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
1.4 60' with a manual Devin? Damn... that's quick. In a Supra??? Must be some GOOOOOOOOD tires to pull that off. The Titanic could have avoided the ice if it had grip like that...

That said suprastroker, you're right about where I was last year with my initial run, except I had a ~2.1 60'. Keep it up! :)

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
You can get lucky a couple times, but the getting consistant part just needs a bunch of lather, rinse, repeat until its muscle memory.
Then, once you blow out your clutch, you get to re-learn everything all over again!

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
toyotanos;1732545 said:
You can get lucky a couple times, but the getting consistant part just needs a bunch of lather, rinse, repeat until its muscle memory.
Then, once you blow out your clutch, you get to re-learn everything all over again!

dont tell me that lol.......................
would a line lock kick help me launch with boost?

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Hey, I'm a 5-speed user, it affects me as much as it does you, good or bad ;)

not really, I would think it would help break them loose more easily. Line locks are generally used for burnouts and holding your car still at the line so you don't accidentally redlight. Best option for you to build voost from the line would be some sort of 2-step controller (bee*R comes to mind, but I have no direct experience with it) or a standalone like my AEM where it has a 2-step built in.

Side note: I augment my 2-step rev limiter with a lot of timing retard (aka anti-lag) to get my big freakin turbo up and spinning off the line, but it needs to be used with respect or it will damage stuff.

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Next time hes out at sac raceway ill make the drive over with my camera and get a good video of the run and time, as well as tell people its a fucking supra not a probe. haha

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
hahaha they havent called me a probe yet. but I havent really stirred up much attention yet either.

it might be a little bit before I'm back on the track. I'm swapping into a new shell (from half working 87 to full working clean 89). I'm just waiting for my full length stainless steel clutch hose from driftmotion. During the process, I'll also be removing my emissions equipment (egr, charcoal canister, and cat) Hopefully that'll help free up some power also

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
Devin LeBlanc;1732947 said:
Meh. Im running EGR and charcoal canister. You won't gain any power from that. Cat though you'll pick up a little.

well its also just extra studd in the way lol. im trying to get rid of alot of extr stuff so my engine bay isnt so cluttered