First time back at the dragstrip.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Its the Aluminum flywheel inserts that weld to the feramic clutches, not the olid steel flywheels. If you plan on drag racing the car, stick with a solid steel flywheel (stock/chromoly/billet/etc). Also, always try to overbuy on clutch when you're drag racing- its torture on a whole new level for clutches :D

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
At the ~400-450hp I was at, I was doing 4000 on the 2-step and slipping it out until I felt confident in the traction. I could have been more aggressive, but it was the first couple times down the track with the Supra. This year should be a bunch of fun!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Suprapowaz!(2);1797773 said:
Toyotanos, what RPM do you launch at when you make your passes.
I know you didn't ask me and all, but I've found the best launch for my setup (1j, stock twins, manual, no boost on launch) seems to happen right around 5500. No lag, and only a hint of wheel spin if any. Now, with a 7m and a decent sized turbo, I would think anything from 4000-5000 would probably work well.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
You're right... I didn't ask you. :squint:

Just kidding. Would you dump, or slip. I slipped mine at around 4000rpm, but when I let it go it slipped... in every gear. Second run I dumped it just under 5000rpm and it felt like it hooked, but started slipping once boost came online.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Haha, just trying to share my experience, gosh Tina... :p

I find that dumping works alright for some cars, but ours is generally not one of them, at least not on any Supra I've driven. I usually launch at 5500 (tried once at 6000, fried the tires all through 1st...), slip until it starts to "feel" like it's pulling hard (I'd say around 5000), and then let out. Clutch grabs right away, and car goes nicely. Granted, I only have a bit of drag racing experience, only one pass down a proper track, and really only maybe 6-8 runs out in the boonies... but what I've described works great for my setup. What tires are you running?

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
te72;1798374 said:
Haha, just trying to share my experience, gosh Tina... :p

I find that dumping works alright for some cars, but ours is generally not one of them, at least not on any Supra I've driven. I usually launch at 5500 (tried once at 6000, fried the tires all through 1st...), slip until it starts to "feel" like it's pulling hard (I'd say around 5000), and then let out. Clutch grabs right away, and car goes nicely. Granted, I only have a bit of drag racing experience, only one pass down a proper track, and really only maybe 6-8 runs out in the boonies... but what I've described works great for my setup. What tires are you running?

Brad, when you're at the track traction changes so dramatically its not even funny. I couldn't get my 235's to spin in gear on the street (rolling into a spin) but I couldn't hold any boost with them on the track. Same story with my 275's (street tires for both). Put the drag tires on (bias ply ET streets) and suddenly traction came back.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Oh I believe you Steve (I'd have to be a fool not to haha), like I said, I have minimal experience. I never could get my car to launch on boost, as three-footing it is kinda tricky without inducing wheel spin, so I only have experience launching the car at higher rpm... Seems like the tire flex on ET's made the difference for you. I'm only laying down 320-350whp, so hooking up has never really been a problem for me.

To the OP, you'll likely have different experiences from myself, as well as most anyone else. That's where experimentation comes into play, just gotta try until you find a method that works for you. :)

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Yep, you've got it right! Not sure what made to difference for me but having the drag rims/tires turned my car into a completely different Supra. The rear end was so 'floaty' and squirmy, then on the top end it swayed a lot *SCARY!!!*

I absolutely agree with the experimentation being necessary, everyone needs to find out what their exact setup needs to be for themselves, its not like turning up the boost and you have more power, drag racing is more of an art than I would have thought!

TO EVERYONE WHO DRAG RACES:
Whatever you/whatever you drive, have fun and please be safe!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
toyotanos;1799307 said:
Yep, you've got it right! Not sure what made to difference for me but having the drag rims/tires turned my car into a completely different Supra. The rear end was so 'floaty' and squirmy, then on the top end it swayed a lot *SCARY!!!*

Devin LeBlanc;1799412 said:
yep, Im running ET Streets at 16 psi and ass end is all over the place at 120+ mph on the drag strip

Try driving down the I15 from LVMS on MT slicks in the rain. I wasn't driving, but what an experience! Got about a mile from the track before the thing spun on us. :p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
These weren't even ET Streets Steve, these were full blown slicks. Should have known it was a bad idea when merely letting out the clutch in the gas station parking lot resulted in wheel spin. :p

Trailered the car there, and nobody believed me that it might be a good idea to bring along a set of spare wheels/tires for the rear, you know... just in case. Someone else had a fan blade make friends with the radiator, so we ended up towing THEIR car back to the hotel, and rather than make a second trip, we tried (foolishly) to drive back. Vegas roads are bad enough in the dry, they're downright scary in the wet.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
You crazy, boy! I personally always have a driving set of tires and a drag set for that exact reason. Guess they're going to listen a little more closely to you next time ;)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Suprapowaz!(2);1794292 said:
Thanks, but as you can tell it needs a paint job.

Cartech intercooler.
2.5" hardpipes.

Do you have a picture of it installed, in say a build thread? Was the power steering cooler in the way? I know on HKS cooler with its huge core the ps cooler is in the way, and was wondering about yours.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I'll get pics of it later this afternoon. I can't remember off hand, but I think it was in the way a little.

I think the camera is in the wifes car at the moment. I remember when I installed it (16years ago) those coolers were in the way. I unbolted it and just pushed them up a little. They just hang up there now, but they're not touching the intercooler.

Last edited:

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
These are the pics that show the cartech intercooler clearing the power steering coolers. The first three pics is the biggest side of the intercooler. It clears by a good 1/4" if not more. This is the view from the radiator looking foward. Notice the horn and hood latch.

017ziu.jpg

018mst.jpg

022ib.jpg

This is the mounting tab and bolt hole that I disconnected it from. The tab belongs on the other side of the hole. From the looks of it if I were to bolt it back in I would think those coolers would clear the intercooler.

020dp.jpg

I think what I did years ago when I installed the intercooler was unbolt the PS coolers just so I could have some room to install the IC. Everytime I slid the IC in place I would see it rubbing on the PS coolers, so I must have thought I was going to have clearance issues. I never connected them back up to see if they were going to clear or not after installing the IC.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I want the Cartech unit for a few reasons, one it is the best unit. Highest effeciency, best flow. The other is the mounts in the picture are the same as stock. So I was thinking it *should* go right in. Thanks for the pics, they are appreciated.