first supra

bootleg

Jun 22, 2005
ri
hey just bought my first supra i got 89 turbo with targa top. was wondering what the stock turbo can handle for boost. got boost controller was wonerdering what i should run thanks

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
1, do you have a metal head gasket

2. how many miles

3. aftermarket exhaust on it???

4. aftermarket intake?

5. new boost guage?

6. you need all of those really in order to turn up the boost, if you just throw a boost controller on it your gonna be in deep Shizzat or just fuel cut. the turbo handles plenty but your enemy is gonna be fuel cut -> (thats when your afm cant read all the air that your turbo is sucking therefore stops giving it gas)

7. IF YOU STILL percist on adding boost right away with it, well your gonna blow a head gasket if its not metal and at 74+ft lb of tourque. but stay bellow 12psi , beyond that you will get fuel cut. get the mods i listed or take a gander over the faq section.

infact just read the entire faq section its a world of knowledge and you'll know exactly how to make more hp.

welcome btw we have answers to pretty much anything you can come up with.

B

boostedj

Ok, so if you cure the fuel cut or eliminate it all together (MAFT) and of course the supporting parts, how much boost could you run on the stock turbo? When does it run out of breath? When is it getting ready to be another CT horror story? I am getting ready to rebuild my top end and switch to blow thru MAFT and was wondering the same thing. I was under the assumption that running more than 12psi on the CT was useless and dangerous.

bootleg

Jun 22, 2005
ri
right now it has new head gasket but not metal one waiting for exhaust to come in but i do the other things first before i up the boost thxs

clifftrail

Jun 19, 2005
Abq
You don't need a MHG to run more boost. You need a properly running car that doesn't detonate. You'll have problems with either HG if your car is not running right. But do increase the torgue of the head bolts. I agree with items 3 and 4 before an increase in boost is done. I believe you can run around 1 bar on the CT before you start to generate more heat and adveresly effect parts. It's out of it's effeciency range by that point anyway. You can push much more out of the turbo but you'll be asking for trouble.

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
just retorque the head bolts to about 70lbs, get some exhaust and intake, then turn up the boost to like 11 lbs, you'll be happy. After that, MHG, lexus/550s, or maft, walbro, afpr, then you'll be able to go about 13-14, then it's time for aftermarket/ or upgraded ct 26