First signs and ways to tell if you have rod knock??

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So here's the deal today I decided to clean the crappy out of my motor and re grounded a couple of wires replaced the heater hose I had that bypasses my heater control valve also.

Well when i went to start the car (hood open) and heard what sounded like rod knock.

I remembered that rod knock shows up around 2,000rpm or at the least is very audible.. so i gave it a little gas and the sound goes away completely.

So far what I've concluded is that

1. It's not rev dependent
2. It only seems to be there when i first start the car
3. It's not temp related
4. I have plenty of oil
5. It's only audible at idle and goes away if a tap the throttle while normal driving I can not here it at all at idle or speed.

Only way I can describe the noise is in the movies every time a car runs out of fuel it always makes that signiture sound of knocking as it comes to the side of the road.

So my question is there any way to diagnose rod knock ?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Aside from the standard rod knock test as Ian stated above, check to make sure everything is tight. Check the pulleys (especially the crank pulley), motor mounts, brackets, etc... There are a lot of things that can cause a knocking sound.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Last edited:

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So here is what i've done so far.

1. Followed Ian's post and pulled every injector clip one by one (When sound was present) but nothing changed but the motor ran a little rough due to being on five cylinders

2. Followed Shaeff's advice started checking everything plugs wires,pulleys,brackets,mounts

3. Last oil change i did was about 500miles ago and it was to make sure i didn't have fuel or coolant in the motor and it checked out fine. I drained about a quart to check it today and it still is in good shape.

Grim it's a R154 with a Stock Clutch and pressure plate replacement about 5,000miles on the clutch.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I know 1JZ/2JZ runs rich on thr stock ECU, like 10-11 AFR cold. I believe 7Ms are 10AFR in boost, so I don't think that would foul the oil.

And if it was running rich like that, wouldn't it have black smoke indicating how rich it was?

Thoughts?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Turbo Habanero;1832322 said:
So here is what i've done so far.

1. Followed Ian's post and pulled every injector clip one by one (When sound was present) but nothing changed but the motor ran a little rough due to being on five cylinders

2. Followed Shaeff's advice started checking everything plugs wires,pulleys,brackets,mounts

3. Last oil change i did was about 500miles ago and it was to make sure i didn't have fuel or coolant in the motor and it checked out fine. I drained about a quart to check it today and it still is in good shape.

Grim it's a R154 with a Stock Clutch and pressure plate replacement about 5,000miles on the clutch.
Have you checked the torque on the front main damper pulley yet?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Grim do you mean the Crank Pulley ?? if So i do not have a Torque wrench but i took a 19mm wrench and tried to tighten it

You can here the knock around 0:55 Also seems to be louder around the CPS and Turbo Does not get any more Audible with the oil cap off

[video=youtube;cBNsuyW--nU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBNsuyW--nU[/video]

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
pull out the crankshaft pulley bolt, put some loctite on it and tighten it to 195lbs.
i had an intermittent noise like that, and suddenly there was a "lighter" second noise. turns out the bolt was loose, and just finger tight.
i do still have another noise around 2,000 rpm, but that's for another day. :(

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Not yet for now I'm just letting the car sit. Hopefully I will find the problem.

But I don't want to make it worse if it is rod knock.

It only happens some times and only at idle sounds like the engine is trying to stall out more then anything as soon as you give it a little throttle sounds fine.

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
From the video, seems like an injector, every time you make a pass by the fuel rail I hear it more. I had the same noise on my car right after I rebuilt. Stethoscope it for sure. I just put a screwdriver on the injector and it was rank loud, put it on intake runner and valve cover on same cylinder, still there but no where near as loud as on the injector. Would love to take a video for you but I spun some more bearings Sunday. PS. don't push the 7M to 150 MPH lol, bad idea

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Skeezix;1832744 said:
From the video, seems like an injector, every time you make a pass by the fuel rail I hear it more. I had the same noise on my car right after I rebuilt. Stethoscope it for sure. I just put a screwdriver on the injector and it was rank loud, put it on intake runner and valve cover on same cylinder, still there but no where near as loud as on the injector. Would love to take a video for you but I spun some more bearings Sunday. PS. don't push the 7M to 150 MPH lol, bad idea

You're doing it wrong then mine used to cruise @ 150 ;)