First car, First Build. 1jz-gte 1990 Supra

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Update. Fixed my throttle cable problem with the use of some big ass spacers
IMG_1482.JPG
IMG_1480.JPG
And now the engine is finally starting to enter the final stages. With the turbo elbow and v-band welded its almost ready for the final bolt on
IMG_1474.JPG
IMG_1473.JPG
IMG_1476.JPG

The turbine housing just needs to be coated and then the turbo side of thing should be done. Then its wiring, vacuum lines, and a coolant res. Then hopefully the first start up... After that its going to get babied down to my Dad's work to get an exhaust, wastegate dump, and intercooler pipes on the turbo side all fabricated.
Then there is a airfield drag event on the 8th. Not holding my breath to make it to that one but if all goes well it should be ready to go just in time for summer at the very least :biglaugh:

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
thats a mk4 throttle cable? I had a similar issue where it was not tight on the TB.

after reading tonnes of builds, i came across someone who raised their gas pedal with a spacer to match the brake pedal height,

for me that 1/2" of spacers made the cable taught....

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Thanks everyone. I don't mind the spacers, they don't look out of place imo and they work fine. But the throttle cable was long enough, the tip was just slightly too big to fit the throttle body on the one side, And the bracket to use the further side of the throttle body meant the throttle cable was too short (the bracket has 3 mounting positions for adjusting the cable, all of which sit staggered forward or backwards) . I'm awful at explaining and using proper terms but long story short, move the bracket over to use the far side of the throttle where the tip was the right size and the cable was long enough, haven't had to screw around with the pedal thankfully. I guess Soarer's just use a different throttle body. But I know the brackets for the cable are definitely different on other 1jz's i've seen...

I would have been hanging out the side of my window pulling on a piece of string had it not worked out

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
My Dad is doing the wiring on the car. He's pretty good at it, but going off shitty wiring diagrams and 1jz pinouts is not ideal by any means...
IMG_1488.JPG
The ECU will sit under my radio, and the body connectors will stay in the factory position with the 1jz wiring harness wired into factory plugs. Should keep it all nice and clean. Not to mention easy to get at if there is any future problems.

I also convinced to get my Dad to take the cover off his car, thought some of you might be interested in seeing it. Hopefully I can convince him to actually drive it too! :biglaugh: Its a 1984 monte carlo SS. SBC with vortec heads, a cam, FAST EFI.... Not too sure what else is done to it since he built it back when i was in middle school.
IMG_1486.JPG
IMG_1485.JPG
IMG_1483.JPG
I also got the new wheels and center caps on. Bought the center caps new off ebay for a SC300. they fit like a glove on the 17" MK4 TT wheels i got for 200$ :naughty:
IMG_1484.JPG
My Dad told me he would be putting this back in his car if my supra is too fast for the old monte :biglaugh: (and no not the weed killer...)
IMG_1487.JPG

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Oh and I also went for a quick ride in a friends S366 Aristo. A week before he blew the auto trans XD But such an awesome sounding car really put a smile on my face
[video=youtube;vyJsTCVUiqs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyJsTCVUiqs[/video]

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Why didnt you just us the the part on the buttery fly closer to the throttle body? Would have fit without the spacers that way.

Also i think the fabbed up mounts st a little bit further forward than the 1jz factory mounts.

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Didn't fit. The little hole that the tip of the cable fits into was too small. If not that's exactly what I would have done. And yes the Driftmotion mounts i have do sit a touch further forward and WAYY lower, which is nice because the zz30 mounts i had were skyscraper tall and the transmission was hitting the top of the tunnel. But with the custom brackets the factory a340e crossmember still fit the r154 in the same spot with a little bit of man power and a screwdriver ;)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Do you have some sort of rubber all weather mats in your Supra? It looks like it in the first picture with the wiring. I've never seen those before as a factory thing and it looks like they are since it says TOYOTA on them.

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Yes actually. Didn't even know it was anything special but i assume the car came with it from the factory since they fit around the foot rest and the lever's for the hatch and gas cap perfectly. Have them in the front and back seats

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
1990MA70;2008888 said:
Yes actually. Didn't even know it was anything special but i assume the car came with it from the factory since they fit around the foot rest and the lever's for the hatch and gas cap perfectly. Have them in the front and back seats

That's pretty cool. I've never seen them for a MK3. It was probably a dealer option or something that was added later on and purchased from the dealer.

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Ill have video's up as soon as its running :). I've heard hy35's are really nice. Little bit smaller inducer and A/R but crazy spool and similar flow to an hx35. Would probably make for a good comparison to the gt3071r, only much cheaper.

Finallyb00sted

Ninja IRL
Apr 7, 2014
SoCal
Wow man nice work! You are way ahead of me. I have a build thread too. It's also my first time. I haven't started engine tear down yet. Nice work though man!

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
suprayo;2009065 said:
The 9cm housing is what has me interested. I never tack my car and want a fast spool and man they are so cheap.

I know what you mean. My hx35 was free :biglaugh:. I got it from the shop my Dad works at. It was a warranty turbo that was basically brand new off of an older cummins. I guess they had wastegate problems, but I welded the latch to close the internal wastegate shut and im now running a driftmotion 46mm external.

All in all i think i spent maybe 300$ on the turbo getting it welded and adapters made for the t4 to t3 conversion while keeping the twinscroll. Probably could have done it for not even 100$ had i made a custom downpipe and went with an open t3 manifold. But I wanted that twin scroll spool :naughty:

the holsets should make for a couple of fun cars :biglaugh:

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Finallyb00sted;2009176 said:
Wow man nice work! You are way ahead of me. I have a build thread too. It's also my first time. I haven't started engine tear down yet. Nice work though man!
Thankfully i had a decent amount of times on my hands since i didn't work this winter so that helped a lot. Plus my Dad is a mechanic and he was able to guide me through the whole process. But this being my only car at the moment i didnt have much of a choice other than to get it done in time for summer so i could have my "daily driver" back, and also get back to work. I think it would have been nicer to be able to take my time more and not be as stressed when something went wrong. But thank you it means a lot to hear people are liking it so far :)

1990MA70

Nov 8, 2013
Cochrane, AB
Haven't made too much progress. My Dad's been to busy to help with wiring, daily chores piled up from working on the car and they had to get done eventually. But hopfully some wiring progress will be made this week. On another note the Intercooler is starting to come together
IMG_1500.JPG
New black couplers and clamps
IMG_1501.JPG
Sandblasted pipes
IMG_1502.JPG
The kit is a BLITZ 2.75" for a 1jz toyota soarer. The cold side fit on nice once I got rid of the mini fans but the hot side with the single turbo obviously isnt going to work, hopefully just some exhaust pipe and more couplers will do the trick temporarily
IMG_1508.JPG
got a new wastegate pipe since the one i had ordered with my kit never came. After they sent it out twice and i still havent seen anything for months i called it quits and bought a universal 46mm dump pipe thinking ill just cut the pipe and re weld it to dump out the fender or something. But to my surprise it fit perfectly... still might change up where it dumps.
IMG_1509.JPG
Starting to figure out my exhaust as well. Its a 3" to 4" adapter for going from my 3 inch downpipe to my 4 inch back. All this going threw a vibrant race muffler should make for a nasty sound when mixed with the dumped wastegate and the silencer delete hx35 spool noise. Say what you will about exhausts but i like my JZ's LOUD. REALLY LOUD. But at the same time I don't like the "toneless" straight pipe (I'm extremely picky about my exhausts). And after watching video's of 1jz's with 4 inch exhausts, I knew that's what i had to have. That 4 inch 1jz goodness :naughty: Not to say I wont play around with some different muffler and wastegate combinations in the future.

Here`s hoping I get the first start and putt around the block very soon. All on camera for you guys of course