First autocross with my Supra

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Yesterday I raced in a local autocross event, it was the first one I had raced in. I LOVED IT! I will be racing again. My car did better than I expected, and I got a chance to see what I was capable of. I cant wait to get back out and on the track!

My car was in the SM (Street Mod) Class, there was only one other in the SM class, a 2011 BMW 335i. I was just under two seconds slower than him, he had stock wheels, upgraded suspension, and exhaust work done.

My car has a very conservative 225-45-17 tire size, Hancook Ventus V12s. Flaming Rivers manual steering rack, Eibach lowering springs, tokiko blues, and my 1UZ swap. Everything else was still in the car, full interior, spare tire, jack, etc... I think with a wider tire and some more bolt on suspension components I will have a great runner!

Here are some pics, and one video.

txe2.jpg

5.0!!!
n3th.jpg

bx27.jpg

[video=youtube_share;DG-np69sx3Q]http://youtu.be/DG-np69sx3Q[/video]

MadRPM

Nov 9, 2012
Tampa
Awesome my man! I'll say you lost some time on the slalom: seems you were hesitating a lot and coasting. It's all good though. You know you went easy on the brakes, go on, admit it :icon_bigg

Overall, seems like a fun course. Keep going at it my man and use that manual rack to your advantage: direct feeback to the front tires. I love the manual rack in my Tercel, it tells me when Im pushing too hard so I know when to maintain, back off a little or unwind more.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks, yea by the end of the day I was pushing it a lot harder, but the gopro died... The video was my first solo run, the first two I opted for an instructor to give me a few pointers. He let me run the track then told me what to do better and it did help, I saw an improvement every run.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks, yes it was a lot of fun!

The tires grip well for street use, but in most of the corners I had to wait to roll into the throttle a short time or the back end would start to swing out. They are only 225's though, I bet with a wider version it would be much better.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
Ok, Mine are 225's as well. From what you have said I think they will suffice for a light track day or two. Do you think you would buy another set in the future (wider possibly)?

Atlas

You call this a sandwich?
Aug 22, 2012
Clovis CA
Man I love the way your car sounds! Throw on some 245/45/17 hankook RS3's and that thing will be a competitor in SM for sure.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks all, I like the tires. If I bought them again I would go wider for sure.

Atlas, thanks. When I made it back to the staging area the announcer said "... just came in with the most strange sounding Supra... ever... must be a V8... or something" hahaha

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Chambers... I liked you before man. Now... I'm hoping you're peanut butter, because I'm am rather jelly. :rofl:

Seriously though, I wish so badly that we had something like that here. Well done man, well done!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Chambers;1949455 said:
Thanks, yes it was a lot of fun!

The tires grip well for street use, but in most of the corners I had to wait to roll into the throttle a short time or the back end would start to swing out. They are only 225's though, I bet with a wider version it would be much better.
I had 265/285's on mine with the LS Chev, can't imagine it with 225's :D

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
te72;1949588 said:
Chambers... I liked you before man. Now... I'm hoping you're peanut butter, because I'm am rather jelly. :rofl:

Seriously though, I wish so badly that we had something like that here. Well done man, well done!

Hahaha, nice. Thanks, it was a two hour drive to get there, but way worth it! Isnt there some sort of road race that a small town hosts out your way? They block off like 15 miles or somthing of curvey and straight roads for people to let loose on.

IJ.;1949629 said:
I had 265/285's on mine with the LS Chev, can't imagine it with 225's :D

Yup, all this V8 torque is just too much! :) I know I will be in trouble once the blower goes on the car, at that point though, I don't think it would be viable for autocross. Thats ok though, I have a super secret project in the wood work that should make for a nice track car. :evil2:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Chambers;1949713 said:
Hahaha, nice. Thanks, it was a two hour drive to get there, but way worth it! Isnt there some sort of road race that a small town hosts out your way? They block off like 15 miles or somthing of curvey and straight roads for people to let loose on.
I'm not aware of any such thing... if you have any more info though, I am DEFINITELY interested though. About the closest thing I can think of is either Bonneville (Speed Week) or Nevada's Golden State Rally. Not sure of anything in Wyoming or near it unfortunately...

Chambers;1949713 said:
Yup, all this V8 torque is just too much! :) I know I will be in trouble once the blower goes on the car, at that point though, I don't think it would be viable for autocross. Thats ok though, I have a super secret project in the wood work that should make for a nice track car. :evil2:
The answer is always Miata dude. Or Caterham if you're properly serious. :p