First and Last post - Supra Turbo got wrecked

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm sorry to hear that your supra got messed up. Glad you're ok tho' that could have been alot worse. I say fix her back up!......if you decide not to fix you wanna give me a good deal on the fogs? hehe JK...but seriously I could use em....Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

T

Tom Perso

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure if I'm really into fixing it back into drivable shape. I've got enough projects already (I am remodeling my house, and the garage is getting a complete tear-down to the top plate), and I still have my 914 to wrench on. I really need a dependable daily driver. I love the car though, so I'm in a real tough spot.

I know it's fixable - doesn't look bad at all, really. I would love to see it go to a good home.

We'll see when the insurance co talks to me on Monday....

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Hey Tom,

Sorry about your car. First and foremost is that you're okay. I'd just get a good attorney and be patient! You'll have a nice Supra again, one way or the other! If you have the accident report that shows he was at fault, and was cited, you are okay. Remember, he is the one that caused the accident, and your suing his insurance co., not him. That is why we have it(insurance)! :boink: Good luck, and stay Supra!

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Get an attorney! One of my best friends was involved in a similar accident recently and because of the pain, destruction of the vehicle he was driving (a POS datsun truck), etc., he received at check for over $9000. His truck was probably worth a max of $500. This just goes to show how much insurance companies hate dealing with lawyers. Hope you feel better! I know the feeling of a bad accident all to well from the cockpit of a supra. :(

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
good luck man,even if that car needs a crossmember its repairable.the 1jz guys swap the crossmember needed to fix that car for a lte 89 to 92 x-member.i have alot of parts that you need sitting in my backyard.hope you feel better.
keith
p.s. i just dropped a 05 328 bmw in the 8th mile,give me the whole 1/4 and it would of been a slauter.

T

Tom Perso

Hey Guys,

I just heard from the insurance co., they are considering the car a total loss. Bad part? They're only going to give me $2885 which is ridicously low for this kind of vehicle. Plus, the kicker is - they want $500 to buy it back. So, I'm not sure what to do now. At my wife's job, they have free legal advice, so I am going to talk to a lawyer and see if I can make up some of the difference in the price of the car, considering I just bought it 3 months ago for $3900... Doing some searching on the 'net shows clean, low mileage Turbos are going for $4000+, but NADA still shows $2750. State Farm won't budge on the price.

I really can't buy this car back. 1) For the money, I can't justify it and 2) I've got a bigger project going on - my house/garage renovation... Here's a clip of before and after...

garage1.jpg

garage2.jpg

garage5.jpg

garage6.jpg

So, I'm a bit busy. BUT... Anyone interested in the car? Let me know...

Later,
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
Damn taht is one fine looking project, jeez wich I had a garage like that..just for the Supra :D
I hear you tho, thats alot of work, and totally understandable if you wanna sell the supra, everyone has different prioritys.
And shit, tell your insurance to eat shit, man 2.8k $ for a Supra..u fucking kidding me, get them quotes and tell them some lawyer told you some blah blah, threaten them or something, man I hate insurance, they want all your money, and when its their turn to pay up, CHEAP BASTARDS. pisses me off

You can get 1k easy for the car in my opinion...if you live near Montreal Québec Canada, ill buy it for sure

T

Tom Perso

Well, I live in Kalamazoo, MI... So, define "by". LOL :biggrinbo

I'd be interested in selling it if you want to come get it!

Later,
Tom

Silvasoup

May 12, 2005
Florida
Firstly I am very sorry to hear about your Supra, but Glad that you are ok except for being alittle sore. I hope you have contacted a lawyer to go after this guy that hit you. I know many people think that the lawyers get all the money and they are just too expensive. In my wife's accident in which the other guy was in the wrong I really feel she got alot more compensation with a lawyer than if she would have just let the insurance company "take care of it". In Florida the lawyers can only charge you a percentage of the money they recover for you. I don't know how it works in other states in this regards. Had she let the insurance company handle it they would have only given a small amount for her totalled car. With the lawyer they went after them for medical problems and other expenses she had. Definately give it consideration. good luck.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Ok, here's what you do. I am very caught up on dealing with state farm on 87 turbos due to my accident in December.

I assume you have just spoken with the one adjuster working on your claim, correct?

If so, ask to speak to the supervisor but be very professional about it. Once you speak to the supervisor, they are usually a little more adept to fixing you problem the right way. They have a method of getting the actual sell values of cars due to some national survey system they use. This search brought up the value of my car by about $500 ($3400). With this price I was also able to buy the wreck back for roughly $120. If all else fails and they don't give you what is rightfully yours, get an attorney.

T

Tom Perso

Hey Guys,

As an update, after working with State Farm, I got 3500 for the car... But they still want $500 to buy it back... But, I have a local guy who is interested in buying it, so it's going to him. At least it's going to a good home.

Thanks for everything, I wish I could have stayed around longer!!!

Later,
Tom

T

Tom Perso

Yeah, I hate to see the car go. But, as I said before, I've got a few more projects that are taking priority. I already have one project car, so I need a daily driver - albeit, a fun one... :) The guy who is buying it has 5 other Supras (all MKIII's) so it'll get used/fixed/whatever.

I'm talking to a lawyer today about the other medical crap...

Bummer was, I was preparing to do a head gasket and start cranking up the boost... Rats.

Later,
Tom